Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Pillion Passenger on R - "OPens"

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Samboss260, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Just a quick question, as the there seems to be conlicting information on Qld main roads, and I thought that someone here may know.

Have a friend, who just got is opens - R's. So he s able now to ride any bike that he wants (he did his RE's on a LAMS bike for 12 months, then did the appropriate Q-ride course to get his R license).

Now is he able to take a pillion passenger on his 850cc bike in the first 12 months? Qld transport info says that even on his R's, he has to wait 12 months. But, but if he rides a LAMS bike, he can take a pillion passenger.

Any idea?
  2. It sounds odd but it's what I was also told by my Q-ride assessor when I got my R's, pretty sure it also applies for the zero BAC.
  3. He must hold the R's for a year before he can ride with a BAC or take a pillion passenger, unless he is riding a LAMS bike.

so it depends on what class of bike he is riding.
  4. Thanks guys. I tought it as the case. I remember having this discussion at Qride hen I got my RE's, around the BAC point.

I just wanted to make sure about the pilion passenger point also.
  5. And for that reason, I should get my R before I 'need' it otherwise I'll be stuck not able to take my wife anywhere (except in a car which doesn't count).

At least you don't need to whack on the p plates again.

But I should point out that the zero BAC does not apply for twelve months after upgrading to R. This is different to the first twelve months on RE. Read the TMR website closely to discover: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing...ce/Motorbike-licence-provisional-or-open.aspx
    • Like Like x 1
  6. this makes a lot more sense than what victoria does.

'graduated' licencing system is a bit of a flop, it's all restrictions for 3 years and then everything all at once.

perhaps it is a good idea to separate taking a passenger from riding a non lams bike for the first time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Your Q-ride bloke was probably just erring on the side of caution, they have a lot of liability when it comes to newly licensed riders.
    Always better safe than sorry haha