Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pill Popping Primary School Kids

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mcbigg, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Three 11 year olds in a NSW school took ecstasy today, apparently believing they were strawberry lollies.

Now, I can understand them thinking they were lollies from their appearence, but surely the taste, which is absolutely foul, bitter and disgusting (I've heard :) ) would have made them spit them out?!?

The fact that they didn't, tells me that maybe it wasn't such an accident.

2. Where did they get them :?
  3. Or the cash to buy 'em with. :?
  4. prolly half cut, using glucose (or similar) as fillers, they dont always taste foul.
    also, if they were to chew them, the residual chemical left in the mouth after spitting the horrible tasting stuff out would be enough to zap their brains.
  5. My guess would be that either mum or dad is a dealer (or hard core raver!) and has/had a large bag of them lying around at home.

The girl that brought them to school apparently had 6 or 7 more that she had offered to others as well.

I taught a boy a few years ago (in year 5) who's mother was a prostitute and a speed dealer in Melbourne. When he went to stay with her in the holidays, he used to help her pack bags of speed and go with her to sell them to her clients. He saw this as pretty normal, and I wouldn't have put it past him to have tried most of the stuff that his mum and dad used to smoke, snort or ingest.

He was just one of a few really bad cases that I've had direct dealings with, not to mention all the horror stories you hear about in my line of work.
  6. My heart is heavy to hear such things. Especially seeing as tho I highly doubt any of them thought it was a lollie. Primary school kids-christ! What are we doing so wrong to have let this happen & what will it take to create significant change...
    First it was Barbie bra's & now it's children doing drugs, thank goodness I dnt have kids I thinks I'd cry
  7. That's twice tonight Boo :(

I know it's bad, but I think it's always been so. When I was at school, a long long time ago, in land a long way away, we had a 12yo girl who was going for pregnancy tests and was known as a girl who 'knew' about stuff. Drugs wise we were limited to dope as E wasn't an option or around then, but kids will always experiment and try stuff. It's a romantic view of the World that makes us think this didn't happen in our day (unless your'e Paul, in which case it probably didnt'! :p )
  8. What kind of kid finds lollies then...

a) doesnt eat some straight away
    b) only eats one tiny one
    c) only has a few tiny lollies in total, and then SHARES

I'd say they knew.... which is bit full on.
  9. I say give the dealer to one of the kids parents / older brother / uncle (tick appropriate box) for 10 minutes. If that was my son / daughter I would find the dealer and deal appropriately.

And I'm normally the one who supports the law! :evil:

I agree, this kid has seen drugs before.

Wrong CJ. In Pauls day they ground up Papyrus and smoked it didn't they? :p
  10. Wow, I didn't think of it like that! They taste like sh!t, there's absolutely no confusing them for lollies once they're in your mouth. And I dont know of any kids that just pop lollies down their throat.
  11. +1

Obviously they knew, but taking the innocent excuse.
  12. Probably they see older kids (or parents) doing it and think "This must be fun". After all, most other banned activities are!!
    I doubt they understand (really) what is going to happen, but they have probably got the message that there something desirable about this.
    Our 4yo this morning had got the bottle of Vitamin C tablets and when we found her she was just starting to hop into them in her room. She said "I'm having some of Mummy's lollies."
    Big difference between 11 and 4, but the principle is the same.
    The question is whether the kids got hold of them by accident, or whether they were deliberately targeted.