Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

pilet jet

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Wally2, Jun 16, 2007.

1. On my xs650 carbys I have one pilet jet i cant remove becourse the blade screw slot on top of it has been burred so much I cant get it out with a screw driver
    Does any have any Ideas on how I could get it out?

2. I'm assuming you've already tried the standard soak in WD40 for 48 hours and that didn't help... so...

If it is a large enough screw then you can drill a hole in the middle of it and insert an easyout into it, then you can replace the screw with a new one after you screw the screw and easyout out.

If it's too small for that then you may be able to (after getting rid of
    all_ fuel!) tack a small piece of metal rod onto the screw with an oxy torch and use that to get leverage. If there is _any_ trace of fuel still in the bike do not try this!

*edit*

The second method is easier if you remove the carbies first BTW :)

3. WD-40 is a water displacer. Won't do a thing. You'll want a penetrating oil to loosen it.

4. Unfortunately WD40 is both a water displacer and a penetrating oil.

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_product_info.html

5. :---) :---)

is the pilot screw accessible to re-cut a groove with a hacksaw blade perpendicular to the original cut to get a better bite with a flat end screw driver?

6. If it's truly stuck, leave it. Clean the carb with lacquer thinners and blow it out with mucho high pressure compressed air. Not too much will be left after that.
    Sometimes you just have to do what you can.

Regards, Andrew.