Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pics of your GPS setup

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by thesal, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Hi riders,
    after riding to Byron Bay and visiting some people along the way and getting lost lol, i've decided i need a GPS on the bike...i've just started seraching around on here for brands (TomToms, Garmins etc) but was hoping some of you could post some pics / details of your personal bike GPS setups
    cheers in advance

2. Just a Garmin eTrex Legend C (Yes, about 3-4 years old now) on the OEM handlebar mount.

It doesn't speak, it doesn't even beep loud enough to get past the wind noise and engine noise, but it does the job. I just glance at it every now and then to get an idea of how far and long much time until my next "maneuver".

3. cheers..that looks nice and neat on the bars there spots...
    but i must say i'm tempted by one of the new colour flashy talking bluetooth ones :p
  4. Excuse the shitty mobile phone pics.
    Garmin Zumo 550 on a K1200R :)

5. awesome vic, i like the larger screen models such as yours...
    i've read the zumo 550 is the ducks guts..
    are you happy with it?...it's not too big is it ?
  6. I'd love to get something like the Zumo, particularly for the Custom POI and (1 billion times) faster 'thinking' time for calculating routes.

I just can't justify replacing "Does the job" with "Does the job a million times over" for $1000ish. :)
  7. I could never see myself getting a gps for the car. But for a bike I think that it would be much better.

Spots, can get the 550 for ~900, 100 less reasons not to get it :p
  8. I have to agree with Spots. Well, my wife says that I have to agree with Spots...

I have the Etrex Legend C. I recently installed Mapsource's City Navigator 2008 maps on it.

I have to have the calculation time set to "fastest" in order for it to calc a route in under a minute. If I set it to default it will time out and freeze at 'calculating - 99%".

It's Ok as a trip computer and as a general guide as to where you're going. But as my eyesight gets worse it also gets harder to read the maps and I find myself taking more time to read the map as I ride. A dangerous thing to do.

The Garmin or the Tom Tom Rider would be the go, I reckon. But after you've lashed out on the GPS, say a grand, then the headsets, etc. to get it to talk to you, a fair bit of dough has gone into the setup.

If you tour a lot, like Spots seems to do, what with his setup (radio, GPS tank bag etc.) then yeah it's probably justifiable.

But for me who rides away probably 3 times a year and who mainly commutes to and from work, then I find it difficult to justify.
  9. I was planning on waiting till the prices came down too for a bike compatible model (waterproof). This thread led me too have another look at the place we bought our Garmin Nuvi 310 that my wife uses in her car. I then saw this: http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin-nuvi-500.html

I am now seriously thinking about this one. May wait till the price drops $100, though as I love a bargain. :grin:
  10. That is a serious alternative. Wonder how easy it is to use with gloves on.

As for the price drop, do you know something that we don't?
  11. That was my only concern. But if people are using standard gps' without issue with gloves then I figured ti wouldn't be too much different.

Re. the price drop. That was the amount that the Zumo dropped within two months of me being aware of it existing. So is just a guess and a lot of hope. :LOL:
  12. No pics yet, but have an aftermarket 'bike handlebar mount' for the HTC TYTN II. I'm using 'Copilot Live' software which has big enough buttons on the touchscreen to use with gloves.

I turn up the voice directions from time to time, which are still loud enough to hear clearly while riding and ends up being a bit safer than taking my eyes off the road for glance at the route with city traffic and pedestrians.

Its not an all-weather solution (especially with the naked bike), so I have an ALDI clear plastic-topped tank bag with a gps/phone pocket that I've used in some insane downpours with no problems.

edit: i guess it doesnt have all the awesome features of a fully fledged GPS unit (like contour maps), but copilot does roads fine. The beauty of a Windows Mobile device is that you can run other software too, like a big screen digital GPS based Speedo, or something like GPS Skinner:

13. Garmin Quest

I've got a Garmin Quest GPS which is more compact than some of the bigger units. Waterproof, records your travels and relatively cheap off eBay (but make sure you buy an Aussie one with Aussie maps). Battery lasts 20hrs. Connects with a computer well.

Connected to the bike with a Techmount

14. Was this last week?
    I just got back from Byron and am pretty sure I saw your bike on the trip!(there were not many on the Pacific Highway).
  15. yeah "TH" rode up last monday to visit some people came back thurs
    it was really quiet for this time of year except around the larger coastal towns...where were you and the 848?

ps: tamarasue i like the size of your unit...the zumo 550 may be a bit too big for me and thanks junglist, mjt57 and others for some good advice .

hmm decisions decisions
  16. I might add, re: interface...

The eTrex units are really intended as multi-role bushwalking/mountainbiking/geocaching GPSes. They're fully waterproof, very compact, energy-efficient (2AAs for >20 hours) and designed to be operated with just one hand as you carry it about... Leaving your other hand free to fend off magpies and dropbears.

A few years ago they began to pick up some feeps and among other things learned to do "mapping", which is an ambiguous word that means they can automatically calculate routes using streetmap data... You know; what people think of these days when they hear the term "GPS".

Unfortunately because of their energy-efficient processors, the old eTrexs need a good 10-30 seconds to think about routes if you're going across, say, the entirety of Sydney, or about a minute to route from the middle of Sydney to the middle of Melbourne. ;)

The physical user interface (the little 5-way joystick and buttons) are rather fiddly with motorcycle gloves on, particularly the 5-way joystick.

On the upside, in the car you can plug any "mapping" Garmin device into your laptop and use the free Garmin nRoute software to have the fastest-thinking, biggest-displayed and most eloquently voiced in-car GPS device in the history of mankind. ;)

Likewise one can edit waypoints, routes, etc using the Garmin Mapsource software before a trip and preload them to the GPS.

I digress. In summary: eTrex units not so good for pure road use, but great for bushwalking/MTB/geocaching. ;)
  17. Garmin Zumo 550 mounted using a "Roamer" custom mount specific to my Ducati Mutlistrada. (Search www.multistrada.net)

I use a Starcom cable connection and helmet headset for sound and microphone. Although the Zumo does support bluetooth sound, it isn't very loud. I can make and answer phone calls using the cable . . . and just hear. The Zumo gets 12 volts from the bike, always on with the way I wired it, so always charged up. The cradle supplied by Garmin works, unlike the cradles provided with the TomTom V1.

The Zumo costs some more, and it does some more, but isn't perfect. See www.zumoforums.com

Note: The Garmin Zumo 660 seems to have arrived, so the price of a 550 may drop considerably. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135
  18. The main reason I got my GPS was I often went on rides with a bunch of guys to places I did not know existed. Nothing worse than riding an outstanding road but never being able to find it again! The Garmin Quest records everywhere you go, you can then go home, load to the computer and save the map/track in the GPS for future referance. Sounds like my unit is similar to Spots GPS. Not sure if the Zumo & Tom Toms can do that.

The disadvantage is it has no bluetooth or "talk" capabilities, but I doubt I would hear it on my bike anyway. I get too much wind noise in my helmet so wear earplugs. The map on the screen is very easy to read and it gives clear visual indications on how long before turns etc when navagating.

Also shows the time - very handy when your watch is buried under a jacket & gloves.
  19. That's a really tidy instrument panel modification, Roderick. I love it. :)
  20. impressive setup Roderick
    doesn't look too big, just perfect actually.

i see the 550 is on ebay for $859.00
    a little pricey but a very nice unit with all the features