Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pickles E-Salvage - Am i missing something?

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by ebf00, Dec 30, 2014.

1. So I'm looking to buy a track bike, Ninja 300 to be specific and one currently at auction on Pickles caught my eye.

So I drove up to Archerfield to have a look and was told they don't offer inspections on their e-salvage auctions.

Seriously? All they offer are some crappy photos? And people bid on these auctions?

Sure, if you're going to just use it for parts I can understand people willing to take the risk, but even then you've got no idea of the extent of the damage or if there's a hole in the engine.

Am I missing something or is this just a massive con job? I know for a fact that Manheim allows inspections.
  2. Howdy, i wouldn't buy something just on someones word or photos (you dont know how old they are etc)..
    Like you, I'd expect to be able to inspect (or have someone professionally inspect it) the bike.

If they won't let you inspect it, then it sounds like they have something to hide..

3. It's been a few years since I went to a pickels auction, but you could inspect on auction day. Maybe things have changed simply because it's all done online.
  4. still seems to be that way. public auction you can inspect..
    e-salvage is online-only.. and they mean only :D

you might be able to ask the branch for better photos/more information? eg
  5. You could never test drive at an auction like Pickels or Fowles etc., you bought as is. As for online auctions, that's even worse as you cant inspect either
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I think, with on-line auctions if the product isn't as described you can get your money back.
  7. Back in the day, auction houses generally let you view/inspect the item that's for sale, i understand driving it would be out of the question.
  8. Aye, didn't think I could ride it but that's not really an issue. All I'd really need to do is check that the forks and frame weren't bent and there's no bloody big whole in the engine.

What's worse is their damage description of the bike:

Entire Vehicle - Impact Damaged Vehicle

So helpful :sour:
  9. When I've looked at these before they tend to have pretty good pictures.
    IE - if it said impact damage all over, then there was pictures of all the major damage, and pictures from each side of the bike. If the pics included aren't any good ask them for more.
  10. It's just the way it is, you'll have to either take a punt or walk away. I'm tipping you're looking at a 300 to do the 300 series? If so, ready to race ones turn up fairly often in the classifieds.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yep, for the FX series. I know I could get an ex-race bike for far cheaper than buying one from the auctions and upgrading it myself, but I'm also doing it as a learning exercise to better be able to do bike modifications in the future.
  12. Have u ever ridden a bike like that on a track ? Just saying as I would think that would get real boring real quick.
  13. It's good that you want to learn, but consider that you are very limited in what you can change. It may be worth buying an ex-racer and pulling it down to learn.

Why, it's a very competitive field to run in and you'll learn more than wot a litre bike down a straight to make up time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wow those photos make it look like the bike just had a bad stationary drop.

No indication/description on the frame/shocks