Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Picking up a bike after a long time

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by cygnus, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

Looking for some wisdoms on this matter. Dropped my bike (2003 SV650S) from stand still in the driveway today. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to pick it up. (I tried, but failed and didn't attempt it again as I was in a rush, and no one to help).

So, I won't get back to it until later tonight. The bike will have been on its side for 10 hours. It's on its left side. Are there anything I need to watch out for after picking it up? I think the gear lever might be bent, so I'll need another one, but otherwise, is it good to ride straight away? Do I need to wait for any fluids to run back in place etc?

Thanks in advance.
  2. hopefully some little old lady will walk passed today and take pity on it laying there, AND PICK IT UP FOR YOU..

What is it ..only around 180kg fully loaded?
  3. Dam! Gotta hate that! I had a situation in a roundabout which caused me to put the foot down, got the bike stuck at that point where your not gonna drop it, but cant lift it up either, funillly enough a little old lady went and dragged some big burly guy out from the cafe to help a chick stuck in a precarious position in a roundabout :D
  4. Check this thread, mine was on it's left side for about 5 mins and this is what happened: Clicky
  5. lol when i dropped my bike i was so mad the adrenaline kicked in and i picked it straight up with no problem at all
  6. Thanks wokwon. That was very informative. I have not checked the air box yet, will do that probably on Saturday. The bike can sit for a day.

Actually, I got home today, and picked it up quite easily, after following some online instructions as to how to pick up a bike.

In terms of damage, I can definitely smell oil, and looking around with a torch can only show so much, but I can feel oil around the engine cover / gearbox. Any chance gear box may leak oil?

The gear shifter rod is also bent, and I can only manage to shift into 1st, N, and 2nd. Will need a replacement rod. Otherwise, things seem okay .. guess daylight might show some more issues.
  7. Oil may have worked up past the rings which will make it blow smoke. Annoying but eventually it will clear.

More importantly if the oil got where it shouldn't be, there may not be oil where there should be. If left on it's side for some while then when picked up I would leave it to stand for a while before starting and have a look at the oil to make sure it is at a safe level.

If you don't have a sealed battery, battery acid may have leaked. Check for leaks and if there hose off immediately. Then check fluid level in battery. If battery is a sealed type, this shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure there is not fuel leaked over the bike and if there is, clean off before starting.