Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Piaggio Zip 100?

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by Tone, Mar 12, 2007.

1. http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-325-scooternews.aspx

Does anyone here have one of these yet? For the price ($2490 + ORC), it looks mighty tempting. One of the reviews I read online suggests that it's pretty light (perhaps a little too light!), agile and goes like stink.

My main concern is how are they able to do it at such a low price. I'm assuming it's made somewhere like India or China, I'm just worried I'll be looking at build quality and reliability that make Vmotos and Honda Leads look good in comparison.

If anyone can tell me what it's like to own a Zip 100, that would be great. :D

2. i'm sure your correct that the Zip will be made in China or Taiwan or somewhere like that. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. Remember that Yamaha and Honda both have bikes made in China. And BMW has cars made in South Africa. Most manufacturers do the same thing. The products still made to the same standards so there should be no problem.

Piaggio is huge. They will not release a dud scoot.

The price??? well i dont know. It might have something to do with the 100cc capacity. Its kind of a strange engine size and there arent all that many competitors. Perhaps the market for 100cc scoots is just not that big so they have to price them competitively? Its also got a drum rear stopper rather than a disc. It certainly looks small, and is probably comparable in size to most 50's.

3. I feel more comfortable buying a brand-name that happens to be made in China rather than a no-name. The brand name has a reputation to uphold, so I'm guessing there's less chance of a dud. That said, I've heard nothing but bad things about the (Indian made) Honda Lead 100.

There are other from established brands for under $3k (the Lead and the Yamaha BeeWee YW100, which I've read is made in Taiwan ... a plus in my book). To be honest, on paper - and without the benefit of extensive test riding - my next scoot is likely to be either the BeeWee or the Zip 100. I want something that performs like a 125 but is as light and chuckable as a 50. The BeeWee is 2 stroke, therefore it should go harder than the Zip 100 ... but the Zip 100 is lighter, and no doubt would respond well to aftermarket performance mods once the warranty expires. :D