Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Piaggio- Why So Cheap?

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by madwomanofdonnellyst, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Hi guys, just a quick question.

My gf's in the market for a new scooter, and has her heart set on the Piaggio Zip 100. She only has one reservation- they seem so much cheaper than other brands' 100cc scooters. Is there a reason for this?

Are they really crap? Do they blow up? Are the parts impossible to find? Are they powered by mutant squirrels rather than petrol? Mostly she just wants feedback on whether they're too good to be true at the price.

So...does anyone have one? What are your thoughts?

2. They are a good scooter. Unfortunately the scooter market here in Aus. flattened out significantly last year (unlike the previous two). So there is a shiite load of stock floating about. Hence the cheaper prices all round.
  3. I read somewhere that the Zip and Fly (both Piaggio) were designed and imported to meet a certain budget price, as Piaggio was otherwise having a hard time competing with cheaper Asian models.

I also believe the likes of Bowell (and others) are starting to inflate their prices because they're doing so well.

With the influx of models on the Australian market at the moment, it will be interesting to see how these prices go in the coming year.
  4. I agree that they appear to be made to a budget and are not up to the usual Piaggio build standards. Having said that, they're not bad at all. They are a tiny little scoot, makes my back ache just thinking about them :grin:
  5. I think you'll find that they're made in China, as part of a joint venture with Zongshen. The build quality is good for the money, and fair by any standard. The Chinese connection is the only way companies with high labour costs like Piaggio will ever compete for volume sales with the Taiwanese, Koreans and the Chinese themselves.

It has a good warranty. I'd buy one.
  6. I agree completely. "The China factor" is a non issue in my opinion. If reputable companies are still employing their usual high quality control standards, then there is nothing to worry about with the Chinese made bikes.

It no different to BMW making their X5's in South Africa rather than Germany. It doesnt make it any less of a BMW.

Obviously Piaggio just decided they were losing too much market share to the cheap scoots so they wanted to offer a similar product.

Its all good.