Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Photoshop help?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TarmacSamurai, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Anyone know Photoshop very well? I'm using CS3 Ext.

I have an image in jpg that has a solid white background. I want to remove the white and have a transparent background in order to overlay the image on something else. Any suggestions?

I know there's a way to do it, but I can't find it!
  2. duplicate the layer, hide the background
    do a colour select choosing white.
    delete the selection
    save as in image format with alpha channel
  3. Use the quick selection tool and "choose" the areas you want, a white background should be easy
    It's under the magic wand tool.
    Fine tune your selection then feather it.
    Make it a separate layer and go to town.

Russ's method works as well.
  4. Sorry to appear dumb - I'm still not all that familiar with PS.

When I use the magic wand tool it selects all the white perfectly, but I can't remove it leaving a transparent background. Whether I add or subtract from the selection, I'm always left with a layer that is the white background with the image cut out.

I want the image with the white background cut out! Selecting the image is hard because of all the different shades in it, but the background is solid white.

Russ - I don't understand your method. Can you give me commands for it?
  5. Oh wait - I got it!

I figured out what russ meant and that worked. Thanks for the help guys!
  6. Sometimes what I will do is go into the individual colour channels, choose the one that best portrays the subject as a solid area against the background, and then cut and paste that channel into a new alpha channel as a greyscale image.

I will then manipulate the levels and curves in this alpha channel until I have got the image as close as possible to total black and white, manually touching up any extraneous highlights. I can then use this as a mask.

Using the alpha channel to select the area of the object, go back into the composite image and go 'Layer via copy' (in the layer menu) which makes the selection a new layer. Turn of the background layer and you now have a floating object.

What you do next depends on what you want to do with it. PSD format will work in Indesign for print, some GIF formats will allow you to specify a colour as a transparent background for web.
  7. Sorry to hijak - but this may help you too?

Does anyone know of a good e-package for learning the basic of PS? I do makeup and would love to start training myself how to do the basics of BS to try my hand @ retouching.
  8. Basics of BS - :LOL:

I've got a bunch of instructional DVDs. I really should get around to watching them sometime.

9. use MSpaint... :grin: