Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Photocromic Helmet Visor

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by dan, Jun 8, 2005.

1. from http://blogs.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/06072005091602MWEAJK.htm

"Here's an interesting product from a company (ACSAS Technology Company) who seems to be getting ready a whole range of motorcycle technology products. The product in question is a photochromic visor for motorcycle helmets. You know those glasses people wear that get dark when they are outside, and then return to clear when inside ?? Well, this is the same principle, but this is for motorcycle helmet visors.

Named the Sunshift, the visor shifts from a clear visor to 50% tint in about 1 minute. Shifting back to clear can take some 5 minutes !

Personally, I think it's nifty and usable, but what happens when you ride during a sunny day and enter a dark tunnel....(this in contrast with the Swedish electronically controlled Chromogenics {link}, a product that seems to have disappeared).

Other products that ACSAS have or are working on:
    M5 Switchblade power system for crash helmets- an interchangeable, power supply that can be integrated into any helmet.
    ACSAS Advanced Compensating Shock Absorbing System - a liquid-based impact-protection system that is easily integrated into any helmet.
    Bluetooth Wireless, Handsfree Communication for Motorcycle and Crash Helmets - fully integrated and seamless bluetooth communication system for helmets.

Click here to see all their products."
  2. Are they too heavy to lift?
  3. Hey Dan,

Do you actually work???? :D
  4. busted :LOL:
  5. Not exactly sure thats really fair. I hate raising my visor while riding as the wind really makes my eyes tear up.

I fitted my new dark tint visor to my helmet for the first time yesterday morning. It was great, but on the way home (6:30pm) of course it was dark. I had previously heard a number of people say that it's quite OK to use a tinted visor at night, you just have to get used to it and be a little more aware, so I tried it. It was "interesting".

The problem with the photocromic (I thought the correct word was photochromatic, but anyway) visor, as with glasses, is that they are susceptible to artificial light change. If you're riding in an extremely well light area, or under bright lights such as a tunnel or large carpark etc, then the lens may very well start to darken. If it takes a few minutes to go clear again after leaving the well lit area, that may cause a problem for a number of riders.

I used to wear glasses for everything all the time, and I knew a few people that had photochromatic glasses and they did not like driving with them at all
  6. My wire frame oakleys that I wore under the hemlet for years finally busted from years of reshaping to fit under the lid. Horrible ride in this morning with no tinted visor or sunnies.

I prefer sunnies for riding, you can take them off at the traffic lights and chuck them in the pocket when it starts getting dark (Also luke most I ride in to work in brilliant sunshine, and home in the dark in winter - saves stuffing around with visors)
  7. I have a clear visor, and photochromatic glasses, (multi-zone prescription) this works well in 90% of circumstances. I also have a pair of Polaroid, prescription Ray-Bans, which are great but I have to stop and change back to normal glasses at dusk because they are NOT nice in the dark.
    One interesting sidelight of the Polaroid is that white cars appear purple, and windscreens of on-coming cars are also coloured!
    If you don't wear glasses, I would think a pair of Polaroids would be the best bet for daylight, (cuts the glare by about 90%)
  8. Glasses on and off with a helmet is yet another powerful argument for a flip-front helmet, I'm still seriously entertaining the idea
  9. it seriously took me 25 mins to change the visor on my helmet this morning :?
  10. My first ride this morning with a polychrom(at)ic anti-fog visor insert and normal prescription glasses (rather than my usual prescription Ray-Bans).

The visor insert seems to prevent fogging quite well (although it doesn't stop my glasses from fogging, of course!). I wasn't aware of it darkening with sunlight, but it was definitely working because I wasn't wearing my sunnies and I didn't suffer from glare.

(My sunnies are sitting in Mrs Gromit's car, and won't be back until Friday night. Grrr.)
  11. has anyone ever thought of making a Polarised Visor ?
  12. Surely they've got to be available.

And given the hassle involved in putting anti-fog inserts into visors, why on earth aren't ALL visors anti-fog as a matter of course?
  13. I dont have the hassel of changing visors as i only use the one . A tinted one , day or night .
  14. Hence the nick "Midnight", I guess, since it's dark during the day and darker at night???
  15. Even though I have both a clear & a tinted visor, I too don't have any issues with riding at night with the tinted visor.
  16. I have the irridum on day and night , midnights like me , our riding wont improve regardsless if we can see the road or not :LOL:

one other thing , doesnt photocramatic lenses or visors have to be glass and not plastic ?
    if so a glass visors?
  17. Same for me. I have a Fog City HyperOptix visor insert which turns "cobalt blue" in the sunlight. Great anti-fogging (doesn't stop the glasses from fogging though), could be more tinted for my poor sensitive little eyes though.
  18. You really have to wonder how helmet manufacturers can get away with supplying visors that aren't designed to eliminate fogging as a matter of course.

It's like the bad old days when you had to buy one of those crappy stick-on demister kits if you wanted to see through the back window of your car.

Rather surprising that a helmet maker hasn't been expensively sued by some enterprising American who tail-ended a stationary car because of a fogged-up visor...
  19. I have to wear prescription glasses all the time, and mine have photocromatic tinting as well. I find that the modern tinting reacts very quickly to light changes so the sudden "entering a tunnel" scenario isn't really a problem for me.

However, on my tour of Victoria in the Christmas holidays I noticed that my tinted visor cancelled out the effect of the photochromatic glasses.

So that's a trap to watch out for too!