Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

phone number for ICE!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jeffatav, Dec 17, 2007.

1. not what you think, but a real good idea that was forwarded to me.....................I'm gunna do it..........you????

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign

The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE.'

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!

Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in ourMobile phones today!

Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this.It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest

2. i used to have a school friend with the nickname Ice before this caught on. I should probably change the numbers but i have a password protected keypad lock anyway so it would be useless to anyone in an emergency anyhow.

I think it is a good idea.
  3. Haha Jeff,
    You got me with that title!!! :grin:

But seriously thats a good idea. Is this an idea started in Oz or overseas? Are they aware of ICE here?
  4. Jeeze just what the kids need - More ICE!
  5. Man, where have you guys been hiding??? This has been around for YEARS!

FTR, I've had numbers listed under EMERGENCY CONTACT in my mobile since I first got one, about 12 years ago...
  6. I'm having Deja Vu.

I'm skeptical about it. I'd be interested to hear Hubie or Tweet's opinion.
  7. Uh. why wouldn't they just search for 'Mum' or 'Dad' in my phone book? seems most logical. :p
  8. I know you can put in mum, dad wife, son or whatever, but they are trying to standardize the search so the ambos or whoever can go straight to ICE without having to search through a phone.

I think it is a great idea and it may help later when you need it...................but please yourselves 'cause IDGAF as I can only suggest. :LOL:
  9. Unless, of course, your parents are deceased. It's not just young'uns that have mobile phones, you know. :wink:
  10. I have ICE Paul and ICE Mum & Dad in my mobile. Have spoken to some Ambos and Police about it, it is originally from the UK and worth doing - could get vital information about allergies and medications to emergency workers from your nearest and dearest, and could save your life!!

Just do it - it's one more number in your mobile :)
  11. You failed Maths, didn't you? :p
  12. Well, most people would probably only put ONE number in their phone - but I've got two, because if my husband is in the car with me, my mother is the next best person to call...
  13. Just playing with you, Carol. I've got three emergency contacts in my phone.
  14. yeah, but the whole point of this is trying to make it quicker/easier for the emergency workers to find ya contacts by standardising the search................................I dunno about you, but it sure makes sense to me.
  15. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense to standardise it, but to me it was always logical to have numbers listed as "Emergency Contact" in my phone. It would seem, judging by people's "OMG, what a good idea" reactions to the ICE system, that no one else has thought to do the same, until now.
  16. Great idea - done.
    I'll put ICE Parents/ ICE Wife/ ICE Brothr.
    Its not just for emergency workers but for people that we ride together with for the day, as we may only know them the first time in group ride.
    I was thinking to put ICE on a little sticker and stick it on my helmet incase i forgot my phone :LOL: I think one of the booth in Motorcycle Expo gave away this little stickers.

Now is to make everyone aware on this ICE, should included in the Riders Tips Sticky.
  17. Thanks but I really don't want you guys calling me alllll the time...

18. :rofl:

Seriously, it will also help to find the owner of a phone if it's lost. The last phone I found at a bike meeting at Winton had me going through the phone list and I resisted writing down the famous names it contained and eventually found "Dad" and he was able to tell me who his son was and I then presented him his phone at the riders briefing (maximising the embrassment of course).
  19. Yes

Yes, all ambos and emergency rooms know of this. Although it is rarely/never the ambos that will call nok, only ED staff.

Great idea for all sorts of reasons and uses.
  20. now i need a new name for my deal......ummm, business associate :? :bolt: