Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Phillip Island Hostel closed down?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cruisingal, Sep 13, 2006.

1. OK, just had a call from my parents who were chatting to some locals over there today.

Apparently the hostel down near the Isle of White was seized by Police today. It was heavily in debt and they have closed it down and will not be allowed to operate over the weekend, even though it was fully booked out :shock:

This would be one of their most profitible weekends for the year. Why wouldn't they be able to operate until next week and have the extra income to pay some debts? And what happens when the people who booked start arriving?

I haven't heard anything else, so am not saying that these are the facts, only that this has been passed on to me (from the friend of the friend etc etc), and as such could may be only loosely based on fact.

Anyone heard anything?
  2. Interesting that the police "seized" it. Usually, when a property is "seized" or whatever the term is for a leased property, it's not the cops that do it. Normally, it's a civil matter, headed up by lawyers and the proprietor, like when a shop falls behind in the rent, the landlord changes the locks on the place.

Cops normally only deal with matters criminal.

Interesting. I'll say that there'll be a hell of a lot of pissed off Island-goers who turn up to find out that they have nowhere to stay. Particularly so if they're from interstate.
  3. Martian is right, cops don't sieze a place.

Security personel typically accompany a locksmith who proceeds to change the locks.
  4. what hostel are you refering to? Amaroo?
  5. Cops can be required to act, to make sure that a court order is enforced. Typically, a representative of the owner (or receiver, liquidator or whoever is given authority) will attend and the cops accompany them to make sure they get access and are not hindered. The police can only act to stop parties from preventing the order being carried out (by appropriate force if necessary) - they don't actually "seize" the property themselves.
    Seems strange that they would literally shut down a business just as it is about to receive a stack of income. Maybe the receiver has appointed an interim manager to make sure the money goes to the creditors? In which case it would stay open...
  6. This has gone quiet, any further news?