Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Phillip Island 8 Hour Cancelled

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Motorcycleracegear, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Check out the latest news concerning the Phillip Island 8 hour race scheduled to be held at the end of the month.

2. And Terry oNeill has got the 500km endurance race at Eastern Creek in november 2013 so I wouldn't have much hope for an 8 hour next year either :cautious:
  3. Nice april fools, but your a bit late.

Bugger, was looking forward to seeing this too. tried to get some more info from the website, keeps coming back with proxy error.
  4. Sorry looked around and didn't see it mentioned.
    As a enthusiast i am all for letting people know the latest news, but it looks like i was late on this one.
  5. It's not just the 8 Hour, it's the support races as well. It's always a shame when a race has to be cancelled for lack of numbers.
  6. This has nothing to do with numbers. And everything to do with dollars.

There were AT LEAST 16 endurance teams entered (@ $1300 each).
    There were at least 16 Pre-Modern and Period 6 support entries (@$280 each)
    It was listed as a National BEARS round. Traditionally they'd have a MINIMUM of 30 entries (@ $300 each)

Work out how much they can make out of 150 weekend superheroes at 280 clams. PER DAY.

Organisers of one of the 2012 road race series approached PI Operations about running their final round as support to the 8 hour. Now It's clear why they were rejected.
  7. There'll be a lot of bitterness about the cancellation but it's the blow to the racing community that'll have the long term impact. Sponsorships dollars are almost nonexistant and so hard to come by here as it is.

Sadly failed and failing series are not unusual and now we have a failed event to add to the list.