Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

PGM-FI fuel injection, in real life

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by ScooterLaMotor, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Has anybody here ridden a bike with PGM-FI fuel injection?

Can you tell me a bit about your experience with it?

2. No problems here, Last bike did over 100,000ks without missing a beat. What is your specific worry?
  3. Same here, no dramas at all 'in real life' on a '99 VFR800 I owned. Actually its probably one of the smoothest bikes Ive ridden.
    Anything specific you want to know or are you just weirding us out?
  4. Blackbirds had it too, don't hear too many complaints about those.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nothing huge, Im not familiar with the technology, it never hurts to ask people, rather than rely on a press release
  6. Honda have been using it on a number of bikes for a while, it is a pretty tested and tried technology. Never heard of any issues with it and my experience has been nothing but good. Some people complain about a bump in the power curve but that is deliberately put in to "facilitate" emissions and noise testing "cough cough" it can be flashed away with a different mapping I am told but have no personal experience with that. It never bothered me.
  7. 100,000km over 2 Blackbirds and no issues at all.
  8. My current bike has PGM-FI, my only complaint is the jerkiness coming off idle. One great thing about Honda fuel injection is the efficiency, my bike with it's 18L tank and 471cc engine can get 450km out of a single tank. That said, fuel injection on bikes is now a mature technology and is no reason to pass up on a bike. You get better performance per cc displacement(generally, some complicated multi carb setups are better at the top end but lack the all over efficiency of the FI), better economy, lower maintenance(especially compared to multi carbed bikes). The drawbacks are you have absolutely no idea how to tune the bike, it involves complicated electronics to change fuel mapping which is well beyond the garage mechanic. And while I know how to chip tune, and have access to many maps for my bike I refuse to do so because it may void my warranty. You can argue a carb adjustment came loose, you can't do the same with fuel injection. Also if something goes horribly wrong you just get a yellow light that tells you to take it to a dealer for service rather than being able to find the issue yourself as you could with older bikes.
  9. My Honda CB1300F3 has it and has performed perfectly for 85,000km. Good gear and enhances the power characteristics of the big four. Mine is completely stock, though the intake has been modified to eliminate the flapper valve, with no ill-effects on the mapping.