Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Peugeot Scooter Imported, but no VIA

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by zam_0977, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,

I'm new here, so be kind........

Well, I seem to have a problem that no other person in the country/state has ever encountered. I've bought a 50cc Peugeot scooter from a kind Eastern European family at garage sale recently. The family brought the scooter into NSW within a shipping container together with their other belongings as they planned their permanent residency. The customs and duties owed on the scooter was paid, as I have the document to show that, but the family never got the 'Vehicle Import Approval'. I have checked with the Dept of Transport and they also can not verify the 17 digit VIN code, so it mustn't have been done.

The scooter is in near new condition, with about 1,000kms on the clock. It was registered overseas, but never here. It has no modifications. Does anybody know if this scooter can be registered at all in Aust, or NSW? I'd love to be able to ride it legally, otherwise, it will only be good to ride within my property.
  2. What does the RTA say?
  3. Sorry but you're stuffed. Without a VIA you will never get the bike licensed in Australia and you can't get a VIA if the vehicle's already here. You'd have to reexport it, apply for a VIA and then import it again. Not worth it for a garage sale scooter.