Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Renee_AW, Sep 12, 2008.

1. I feel a bit silly asking BUT I don't want to put petrol in from a can again.

My bike doesn't have a fuel guage (GPX250R) so I don't know what is currently in the tank.

Which stand should I use for filling up?

Do I put the nozzle right in the bike?

How do I know when it is full?

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.
  2. either stand should be ok.

fill till the fuel reaches the bottom of the tank 'throat'.

if you put the filler nozzle all the way in then youll only get about a quarter of a tank before it triggers the auto cutoff. hold it up as high as you feel comfortable without taking it all the way out of the tank.

keep in mind that thr further you have it in, the less petrol you'll have splash onto your tank.
  3. If you've got a centre stand, use it. If not side stand is fine (you just might miss out on a few mL as the tank is on an angle).

Put nozzle all the way in, as fuel level rises, slowly pull it out until the fuel is a couple of mm from the top of the tank. Put back in your cap and you're good to go.

- Don't sit on the bike while filling
    - Make sure you fill it slowly as the fuel level reaches the top
  4. Some people use the centre stand to squeeze a few more ml in it. I just use the side stand.

Usually I put half the nozzle in and watch the tank filling up instead of relying on the nozzle to 'click'. Then when it's almost full, I pull most of it out and slowly trickle the petrol till it's completely full.

Don't sit on the bike and fill up for safety reasons. There have been threads discussing this before.

Use you trip meter to estimate how much petrol you have left, or just take the cap off every now and then and check it. I usually just rely on the trip meter and soon as I have to use the reserve, I get to the servo.

Oh and don't leave the fuel tap on reserve after you fill up for obvious reasons :p
  5. Darn talk about fast replies :p
  6. slow day at work. :p
  7. Cheers!

Thank you for the tips.

I don't know why but with each day I am becoming more nervous with my bike....I want to go out & to the petrol station (on the highway through a town centre) but I am filled with anxiety.

Once I get on the bike I feel better but for now it feels scarry.

Guess there is only one answer....go get on the bike!

Did anyone else feel like this when they first started riding? The stories I read are full of people just doing it - no fear.
  8. Re: Cheers!

Best advice I ever got (I'm still on my L's, but ridden trail bikes for years) is the moment you stop fearing riding, is the day you should stop riding.

Being fearful and cautious is good. It makes you think about your decisions when riding more, it's fun to push the limits, but without fear, you'll make some pretty poor decisions that could get you killed.

The more you ride, the more comfortable you will get. Just take things at your own pace and that fear will subside as you get more comfortable with the bike.
  9. i was a bit like that when i first picked up my bike. first ride after my learners course... first ride on a bike on the rd doing over 25ish km/h....... (learners course was SLOW) but I just knew that i had no choice, i had to get it home after all!
    You need to stop thinking about it before hand and about all the bad things that could happen (thats what put me off at the start) and just get out and do it. After my first few rides i settled down and relaxed a hell of alot. It's all to do with experience.
    Just get out there and do it, but do it where and how you're comfortable, till you gain some confidence :)
  10. Thanks. That's good advice & I will remember it!

Off to get petrol now - think I'll use the main stand.
  11. If this is a serious question you have bigger fish to fry :shock:
  12. You will have a fuel tap which you should have switched to "on".

When you feel the bike cough and splutter a little reach down and turn it to "reserve".

You will normally have enough to get you to the nearest petrol station.

Do this as well as using your trip meter to get an idea of how many K's to reserve, and you will never run out of fuel again.

PS. When you fill up ALWAYS make sure you switch the tap to "on" before you ride off.

13. traffic is a biatch around the main bits of charly. i can understand why you'd feel nervous as a relatively new rider.

the lights and roundabout each side of that centrelink are blackspots. The stupid fence they've put down the middle of the road means you cant see if theres anyone stopped ahead of you around the bend at the lights. I sit there checking for idiot cars constantly in my mirrors while i wait.
  14. I fill my bike every 200k whether it needs it or not. Got in the habit on my old bike that sounds a bit like yours.
  15. Sure...much bigger fish but this was something I was anxious about & to have that eased by more experienced people helps. It means I can focus on the 'big fish'.

I don't have any biker friends to ask these 'small fish' questions so thought the 'New Rider' form would be a good place to ask.
  16. off topic- i keep gettin amazed by this one id --> hotmilk :| :shock:

@op dont worry, u ll get over the fear of filling your bike up within a couple of fills. some real nice advices given in this thread already ...follow em and u ll be fine :)

every1 gets anxious when they r doing somethin new.... :)
  17. Charlestown is a bit nasty for a learner. I just went for a ride (twice around the same route)....I start off on the Pacific Highway - not far from the Madison Hotel - through Charlestown towards Belmont direction...traffic lights galore...then turn left towards Dudley/Redhead. A few roundabouts & pedestrian crossings as well as a school zone.

Then...I figure I deserve a treat so I make my way back to the highway via 'Millionaires Way' or Burwood Road if you don't know the area. It is a lovely road, 60k limit, beautiful views...makes riding a bike seem easy (false sense of security).

Oh & got some petrol too - used the side stand.
  18. when in charlestown keep fuel stored in your shed ah-la mad max. its nutty up there. if you dont ride like stoner you will get 350ks off a tank easy so a fill isnt required too often.. if you go up and down the freeway then you will need more.

19. i dont get it... :?:
  20. i sit on the bike upright and fill, that way i get more in the tank as apposed to having it on the stand, so yeah