Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Petrol station ousting (Syd)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by ibast, Nov 15, 2005.

1. The BP petrol station on the Hume HWY at The Crossroads (not the one at Casula) in Sydney insists that you get off your bike before refueling.

The following letter was forwarded to BP:
    "BP,

On the 14th November 2005 at approximately 4.45 pm I attended the BP service station on the Hume Highway at the Crossroads in Sydney. There I removed my gloves, undid my helmet, removed my sunglasses, removed the key from the ignition, placed it in the petrol cap and opened it. It then placed the fuel nozzle in the tank and waited for the attendant to turn the pump on.

It should be noted I did this all within full sight of the attendant.

It was then the attendant informed me, that the pump would not be switched on if I were seated on the bike.

Like most modern motorcycles, mine is not equipped with a centre stand, only a side stand. The result of this is that it is impossible to fill the bike with a reasonable quantity of fuel unless the bike is held upright. As there is no safe way of doing this without sitting on the bike, I need to do exactly that in order to fill it correctly.

The alternative to this is holding the bike upright with one hand and filling it with the other. I don’t think I need to highlight the consequences of dropping a hot motorcycle, with an external exhaust temperature much higher then the flash point of petrol, with an open fuel tank, in a service station fuelling area.

I conveyed this to the attendant (and was really quite polite) who still refused to turn the pump on. Needless to say I took my business elsewhere and I will continue to do so. I should add that this particular service station was one that I used to attend on a regular basis.

The illogic of this policy is obvious. The implication is offensive. The fact that it was in the middle of the afternoon, on a workday makes the application of this “rule” absurd.

Since I was unaware of this policy, I am sure many other motorcyclists are also. As such, unless I hear otherwise, I will do BP a favour by taking every opportunity to inform the greater motorcycle community of BP’s policy on this matter.

Regards,

Danny"

I will let you know if there is any reply

2. A logical reasoned argument that will almost certainly fall on deaf ears.

3. "poking the devil with a stick and running away", gotta love it
    As we have discussed many times here before, these little Hitlers who run these companies (not the panel operators) have no legal position. It's just 'company policy'.
    You tell 'em!!!!!!!!!!

4. Noticed recently that the Shell servo I frequent has new stickers on the bowsers showing what's not allowed which includes a picture of a rider seated on a motorcycle with a big "X" through it. Be interesting to know if there's ever actually been an incident involving this or if it's just one of those "perceived risks" - like using mobile phones around bowsers.

5. Ive never refuelled whilst on the bike... the angle doesnt make much difference on my bike. But i might just have to go and stir up some trouble now :p

Thats just ridiculous! Yeah i usually just use the one at casula. Never had a problem there. Except for people tryin to sell me drugs out the front, oh and a kid tryed to sell me a dog once :shock:

6. Sitting on your bike and refuelling is risky, because you’re only using both feet to hold the bike upright and your hands are not on the handlebars but busy with the hose & nozzle, so you stand a greater chance of losing the bikes balance and dropping your bike, especially when most servo driveways are slippery.

Then there is also the potential fire hazard if fuel splashes onto your tank and dribbles down it will ignite from landing on the hot heads or exhaust manifold.

Your choice to want to sit down and hot fill a bike, but when it comes to my kahoonas – I don’t want great big balls of fire.

7. Yeah it's no the best and even unlit fuel on your knackers is not pleasent, but my tank is small enough and my seat is fairly low be modern standards so I have pretty good contoll of the bike when I sit on it. I see it as the lesser evil.

I just can't stand unreasonable people and this women was just quoting a stupid rule at me, no matter how illogical it was.

8. yep im sure there are riders that would have great control due to the design of the bike,
    enough to be flatfooted and confident of no muck ups doing a sit down hot fill with no stand down.
    but that sure isnt the majority of riders, and if sit down fill ups where to become the norm then there would be quite a few toasted riders out there.

9. Your point was argued reasonably, but I doubt they will change their policy, as it is the case with many other suppliers as well.
    I'd say there is only a small risk of disaster here, but that's probably enough for them.
    If you want to just get around it, get off, get the pump running for a while and just climb back on to top it up.

10. Yeah thought of that this morning. Would have really pissed her off too.

Did one of the posts in this thread get deleted, or am I going mad?

11. Your choice to want to fill up that way, and I have nothing against it.

Personally I get off the bike.
    This way the correct amount of fuekl goes in the tank, rather than an excessive amount.

If I was to fill it while keeping it upright, as soon as I went inside to pay (or the next time I parked) I would put the bike on the sidestand and risk having it leak out.

12. The Suzuki has a baffle in the top of it that gives you the level to which you are supposed to fill. You can see it when you look down through the filler cap.

The truth is I'd probably stand a greater chance of overfilling it, because the level would be harder to judge.

13. Just as a matter of interest, have you ever checked just what the difference is between filling the bike on the sidestand and filling it while upright?

Try filling it as much as you can on the sidestand, then stand it upright and see what difference there is. You may be suprised.

My bike has both sidestand and centrestand, but sometimes I just leave it on the sidestand while filling it.

The difference is pretty close to bugger all.

If the tank cap is recessed, there will always be a bit of air gap in the top of the tank. leaving the bike on the sidestand will reduce the airgap on the low side and increase it on the high side. The overall difference for my bike is tiny.

(oh, and unless you've replaced the management at the Servo, they haven't been 'ousted')

14. Fair enuff ibast.

BTW. I think the letter is great, even if I don't personally need to fill my (current) bike that way. ;)

15. Exposed perhaps?

Anyway, the replies here have got me thinking. so I might try that. I went from a centre stand bike to a side stand and it seems apparent, but I will give it a go.

Still, I'm not going to retract the letter. I'd like to see a responce. They're my knacker afterall!

16. very good point indeed.

petrol stations would much rather see people fill up their bike on its stable side stand and not be able to have it at maximum capacity rather than for people to sit on it, possibly slipping their foot, yank on the pump as the bike goes down.....makes sense to me

people drop their bikes all the time, by having it on its side stand this reduces the chances of this happening.

well written letter by the way

17. iBlast, you need to consider this from the servo's perspective. You're filling your bike in such a way that it places you at risk. The servo has to pay public liability insurance, in case someone who is injured on site decides to sue.

There is also the risk of fire, something that petrol stations aren't that keen on. Particularly if it costs them heaps.

Sitting on the bike, balancing it, while leaning over to grab the nozzle places you at risk of losing your balance. I've seen heaps of guys do what you do and a lot of them nearly topple over.

And as others have pointed out, if you spill the fuel or overfil the tank, then sitting on the bike exposes you to getting a crotch full of fuel. In case you didn't know the two parts of the body that absorb the most are your balls and your forehead.

I have a Honda CBR1000. I've filled it on the centre stand and on the sidestand. If it makes any difference to the endurance range, I can't pick it.

Besides, how many of you actually ride the bike much beyond reserve? That extra 200ml that you put in probably will make no difference at all that you can pick.

18. People drop their bikes when not putting their side stands out properly at servos all the time, i see it near weekly. I just think its a matter of doing it whichever way is better for you. I mean your gonna be the person most concerned about keeping the thing upright anyway...

All seems a bit silly to me...

19. Course when I first saw this thread I thought the "j" had been left out. Could just picture bikes lining up either end of the fuel bowsers, nozzles in hand, for a bit of service station jousting. :LOL:

20. fcukin pisser :LOL: This forum has had me laughin all day...

Now to put such an idea into practice, wonder which servo ill choose as the venue :twisted: