Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Petrol smell

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Spotman, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Hi all,
    I have a brand new 2013 GS500. Approx 800ks on the clock so will be going in for the first service very soon.
    Since having the bike I have noticed a fairly strong petrol smell after a run. Once in the garage it's very noticeable.
    There is no obvious leaks and the bike seems to run just fine.
    I initially just put it down to a "new bike" smell but am now not so sure.
    I will be mentioning it on the first service however am keen to have an idea of what it might be beforehand. (some rip-off protection!)
    I have searched for this on here and other places and have seen suggestions around running rich. I'll be checking the plug condition tonight.
    Does anyone have any other possibilities? (remember this is a new machine)
    Cheers
    Spotman

2. these things are still carbie right?

New bikes need to be set up by the dealer. It could be a loose hose connection.

It could also be a float height issue. Don't muck with it. take it back.

It's no biggy, these things happen, but it's the dealers problem, not yours.

3. The run in tuning until the first 1000km may be different from the tuning after that point. As ibast said though it is a dealer problem so mention it when you take it in for the 1000k service.

4. When you say "new bike smell" could it just be the paint burning off the exhaust header pipes? Just a thought??

5. first thing I noticed when I put my first bike into the garage was the smell of petrol - didn't notice it after the bike ticked over about 500km. could just be that I got use to it or as ned suggests, could just be new components 'seasoning'

6. thanks all. Will defintely be leaving it to the shop on the first service, just wondered if there was something obvious I missed.
    I also thought it would be a "burning off" type thing on a new bike but it hasn't gone away after 900 kms. Could also just be me not used to having a bike in the garage! If anything comes from the service I'll post it up.
    cheers
    Spotman

7. If it smells like raw petrol & assuming motorbike ADR on emissions are the same as cars, then something is wrong. It is illegal to vent raw fuel fumes to the air (most countries). Pressure release from a hot fuel tank usually goes in to the crankcase for burning during running or in older days via a charcoal canister. And after a ride, you will actually have low pressure in the tank from fuel used. With my little Yamaha 150cc with only 1000 km on the clock when parked in the quiet at home gives an occasional little whine after a ride, which I assume is air leaking in to the tank. Or keenness to be back out on the road.

How warm is it up in Brissy at the moment? Usually you need mid summer in Vic to get petrol smells. Having another passion with 1980's ALFA's, this is an issue that comes up only in summer. Black bike, with black tank? maybe in the QLD sun that's enough to pressurise it.

In old cars with worn out seals these sorts of things can be a bugger to fix, but I reckon somethings not been assembled right or a new seal is dodgy.

Bottom line, there is definitely something wrong. 'Tis illegal to vent raw fuel to the air.

8. wow, that is the complete opposite of every bike I've owned. All of them vent to atmosphere. I've seen charcoal canisters on California bikes, but not Australian ones and all my bikes continue to vent, after stopping, due to heat from the engine.

A carbied bike, even drawing a minor vacuum in the tank, due to vent blockage, will run badly and usually stop. So the claim low pressure is usual is just incorrect.

Some of the above might be true on some newer bikes, but I've never seen it.

My bike (with 100Mm) will smell petrolly when very low and when just filled up.

9. O.K. I'm wrong for bikes, but it's definitely the case for cars. All right pretty sure for cars:(. Used to have charcoal canisters here in cars in the 70's too. I've got a fuel injected bike, after my next ride I'll open the filler. I'm guessing it'll pop open if over pressure or be reluctant if low pressure. Or I won't be able to tell 'cause life's like that. Thinking about fuel injection, it's usual (on cars) for the pump to run more pressure than the injectors need and return excess fuel and hence pressure to the tank. So the tank should be pressurised all the time. O.K. I've proved I'm wrong. And I'm full of it:rolleyes:. Please ignore me.

10. Petrol smell when full or empty was symptom of blocked venting system in the old ALFAs. Which you noticed 'cause it vented into the cabin. May not be relevant in this case.

Just had a look at my bike's service manual (more interesting than work) and there is no pressure return line to the tank, just one fuel pipe going out from the pump. So it may have negative pressure, more likely I'm wrong though.

ibast are you really in K. L. ? If so emission rules there may be different. Now your going to tell me you road bikes in Australia for 40 years.

11. LOL, only been in KL since the beginning of the year. 20 years of bike ownership and riding in Sydney before that.

No bike here in KL. Still own a couple of bikes in Sydney.

Yeah FI is different. I'm not even sure cars have charcoal canisters these days. They disappeared in the 80s.