Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Petrol Prices, what do you think??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by gsxr1000, Aug 11, 2005.

1. My main transport is my bike and my car (the wife uses) runs gas, so I hope petrol prices go up, this mean less cars on the road, especially in the weekends....

2. Those who remember the pertol 'crisis' of the seventies will tell you that while there was a bit of a move to smaller cars by some, mostly it had no lasting effect on road use. People just bitched about the prices.
  3. I don't agree....my role at work has taken on a more travel focus. I now use the car a lot more to travel long distances as I have equipment and stock, etc. Even for meetings, my boss prefers that I'm not in my gear, but well presented in 'nice girl' type professional wear.

I can see both sides, but lower prices are better all round.

The trouble is that as petrol prices increase, people will just budget for the prices. Cars are seen as a necessity in most cases, not a luxury.

:D :D :D
  4. I've noticed more people talking about it and economic reports on the news. However, it hasn't had that great an efeect on me, yet.
  5. completely agree, people will pay whatever the prices are, but i also think that it will reduce weekend traffic as money doesn't grow on tress and fuel isn't the only bills people have to pay
  6. On a related note on future traffic patterns.

Currently there's a lot of 4WD on the road. In 10 years or so these will all be dirt cheap to buy, and flooding the second hand markets.

Will L & P plate drivers be buying these vehicles to learn in, for the cheap cost + the supposed better protection?
  7. If prices continue to stay high then we may start to finally start seeing a change in new vehicle purchases. People might start to realise that a medium sized 4-cylinder is in most cases more than adequate as a family car and that they don't really need a V8 powered 4wd/Sedan (It's already happened in Europe). Might also see an increase in the number of motorcycles and scooters on the road, all things that make the roads a safer place for us.
  8. AND the government will be forced to abandon the ridiculous levies on diesel so that it is economically viable to run a diesel car. They are ruling Europe in terms of sales increases at the moment and are stunningly reliable, fuel-efficient and have more than adequate performance.
  9. Good point there, and of course in 10 years time many will also be in pretty poor mechanical condition which will make them even more dangerous. They already take a bit to come to a stop, be even worse with poor brakes/suspension/tyres.
  10. Hah, in 10 years...........mate in 10 years maybe cars won't run on petrol!!! Don't forget that world crude oil reserves are gettin' pretty low!!! Maybe we will just put a piece of plutonium in our car, not bigger than a table tennis ball, and that will power our cars for a year!!!
    Or maybe americans will get out of the middle east (I doubt) and we can get out petrol at the same price we used to pay before!!! Wouldn't that be nice now eh???

BTW I have 4WD that drinks 15lt. of diesel per 100kms. Not a pretty site nowdays when i fill it up. But lucky I've got my company car and a bike, so I don't drive it that much anyway :)
  11. I wonder if biodiesel will ever take off...
  12. There will be fishstink all over the place then :LOL:
  13. Shame on you rc36! Diesels are a dirty, noisy, foul, abomination, especially with the sulfur charged rubbish the refineries are allowed to peddle in Aus.

I'd like to think soaring petrol costs will reduce the number of single occupant cars I see on Coronation Drive each morning, but I doubt that will happen. The average Australian is too used to bitching about it, then doing nothing.
  14. I filled the Subaru last night and it was 70 dollars. That was with the 98 octane stuff at 131.9. Filling the bike even costs over 20 at that price. The thing that got me was not only was the price of unleaded up but they have whacked up the price on autogas as well. Thieving scum. (not the individual operator but the companies and the government.)
  15. And to think, Autogas used to be burnt off at the refinery as waste...
  16. 1. It has never been scientifically proven that oil is a finite resource, its only limitation is the strangle-hold on supply by the Saudis and their mates. What suicide bombers cannot do, the oil sheiks can, and if given the chance, will.
    2. We have ain infinite and economical source of fuel right here in this country, and we are lagging the rest of the world in its use and implementation. That fuel is ethanol. Scare tactics about its supposedly damaging effects are just that. 25% of all cars in Brazil use ethanol, and Brazil has just produced the world's first ethanol powered PLANE!
    3. The fuel crisis of the 70s was wholly manufactured by the industry to drive up prices and it worked. As soon as the "crisis" was over, people went back to their big cars, and, as has been noted already, just complained about the cost of fuel, but kept driving!
  17. You need to keep up with current information before you make comments like that!

Euro III complient diesels are the standard now and all our work has bought for the last couple of years (Euro II prior to that) and Euro IV vehicles will be available in Australian in a couple of years. The details of Euro V are almost finalised.

High sulphur diesel is no more in Australia, and the change from medium sulphur to low sulphur diesel is already well under way (medium sulphur diesel is no longer available in 2 states). Ultra low sulpher diesel is not that far off.

A small passenger car running an intercooled turbo diesel like the new Golf turbo diesels (as one of the few examples actually sold in Australia) uses less than 5 litres per 100 kms in highway use.

The hybrid cars like Prius are slightly better for inner city use where there is lots of congestion, but are somewhat inferior for outer suburban or freeway or highway use to the small diesel cars like the Golf (both in driveability and in fuel economy).

Fuel will likely be between $150 and $250 a barrel (in todays dollars) in another 10 to 15 years... currently it's around $55 to $65 a barrel. So in real terms fuel will be about 3 to 4 times as expensive as it is now.

That puts it a little more expensive than it is in Europe currently.

At those levels the day of the 4x4 and the big aussie 6 simply have to be numbered!

As for our work fleet we are currently seriously investigating Compressed Natural Gas for local travel heavy vehicles... seeing as it is easily the most mature of the alternative technologies with some thousands of them in commercial fleet use around Australia already.
  18. I've been looking into useing that for my Subaru - does it really make a difference? I know they recommended it for Turbo? And is it worth it for the 250 as well :?:
  19. ZRX, I'm a great believer in gas
    <burp> oops, pardon!
    (I agree with you, seriously)
  20. Tax deduction in you or your bosses count.
    Higher petrol prices mean larger claims.
    There is a benefit when you use a car for work purposes.
    There is no benefit for your everyday flog.