Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Petrol price poll

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ibast, Apr 9, 2008.

1. $1.50

2. Already is

0 vote(s)
  3. $1.75

0 vote(s)
  4. $2.00

0 vote(s)
  5. $2.50

0 vote(s)
  6. More than $2.50

0 vote(s)
  7. never will

0 vote(s)
  1. So at what price point is petrol going to effect the design of bike?

Edit: OK perhaps I should have been clearer. Assume this is tomorrow for one reason or another. So don't take into account inflation. Assume it has gone up for other reasons

2. Depends how it tracks against inflation. If the price doubles, as does take home pay, then no difference.

I don't ride a bike for economy purposes, my two bikes can use more petrol than a Barina
  3. That's a tough question. I think if petrol got to $2.00 or more I would ride less (I don't have to ride) but the bigger threat is, if it was around that mark everything would cost so much more and we probably wouldn't have as much cash to spend on fuel anyway.

Fuel economy is less important than fuel range on a bike as on balance anything over a scoot is less efficient than a moderate size car.
    Do people really choose a bike based on fuel economy?
  4. No matter what it is going to be better than cars... and that's all that matters!
  5. "Why did you buy a $17000 Tiger 1050 instead of a $17000 Honda Jazz, Spots?", my parents will ask.

"Uhhm.. Well, because of the luggage and seati... no, wait.. ERm. The better fuel econo... uhh..."

To a small degree, fuel efficiency has dictated my choices for bike options as I upgrade from 250 to something physically a bit more spacious. It's really only excluded some of the really excessively thirsty bikes like the VTR1000 (32 US mpg on the highway?!?! My SPORTSCAR does better!) and so on.

I can't see fuel economy surpassing the basic needs of "can I fit on this bike without taking up Yoga first?" and general suitability-for-the-task, though.
  6. :LOL: Until you need something more practical :wink:
  7. Better than V6 and V8 bogandores, sure. ;)

My grandmother's Toyota Echo has achieved fuel efficiencies on-par with my VTR250, and there's a whole host of European turbodiesel hatchbacks that do better still. But then, who wants a practical, comfortable 4-5 seat hatchback?
  8. hey! heeeeeyyyy.. in my last tank (just calculated) my fuel was 3.49 L to 100k's!!! I don't see a car beating that... my dads Jazz does 5.7l/100 which is great, but not great enough... I have become used to the lower level of practicality and have found substitutes... so I think I'll do fine :p

Cars are for the weekend ^_^
  9. Assuming prices went up to $2.50 tomorrow and stayed there, I think you'd see more people commuting on bikes and scooters.

My SV isn't fuel efficient, at least not when I ride it :oops: I know I could get many more kms from my tank, but it would detract from the fun factor :wink:
  10. https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51508

All those who answered "never will" haven't thought it through. Or can your bike run on love and willpower? How often are you going to be able to ride when petrol costs $5 / litre? $10 ? $50 ?

It's running out, people. We're the last generation of petrol-powered motorcyclists.

On the upside, when everyone else moves to 2 wheels for the economy in a few years' time, we'll all be far better riders than them.
  11. Sure I thought it through. I understand what you're getting at - Inefficiency is wasteful and doesn't help anyone, and I agree. But with the exception of a few thirsty edge-cases like the VTR1000, all bikes are around 3.5-5.5L/100km on the highway, even the litrebikes.

If fuel gets crazypriced then I'll probably stop riding altogether (actually, I'd probably keep the bike and get rid of my car, even though it's not much more thirsty). I already ride my MTB to work because there's no point using a powered vehicle to travel a paltry 15km.

For $1.50 -> $2.50 as per the poll, though, there are far more important concerns than whether this bike drinks 0.5L/100km less than another.
  12. I think your background info is wrong. Many bikes fall somewhere in the 6s and some into the 7s

The poll also has a "more than $2.50 option"
  13. Like the VTR1000, and other 'edge cases' as I mentioned. Even the aerodynamics-of-a-bus, ancient air/oil-cooled motor R1100GS/R1150GS/R1200GS gets 5.5L/100km @ 120kph. Honda Blackbird's around there too despite its 160hp motor.

I suppose "I'd stop using powered personal transport altogether" would be a possible decision regarding my next bike purchase, though, so perhaps I should change my response to "Much much more than $2.50, but eventually, yes".

I'll restate that "Do I actually fit on the damned thing" is a tricky one to knock off the #1 priority for me, though. That really, really eats into my options for cars, bikes and so on.
  14. My Bandit 1200 uses about 6 litres per 100 kms.

If fuel was to go to say $3.00 a litre (which isn't much of a stretch) then I'd probably be looking at bike economy figures when I purchased a bike to replace it.

Using a Sprint ST 1050 as an example... they only use about 3.5-4 litres per hundred kms and over the life of the bike the price difference between a Bandit and a Sprint ST would be made up by the improved fuel consumption.

Therefore... Total Cost of Ownership would be similar rather than higher for the Sprint ST.

That'd definitely be factored in when I do the cost of ownership calculations before I purchase the next bike.

So yes... it would 'influence' my next choice of bike.
  15. so what is the reason for fuel prices to become so rediculous anyway?
    dont tell me its because were running out coz thats bull$hit!
    oil companies are evil greedy thieving maggots who have the ability to hold the world to ransom.the day that fuel prices seriously impede my ability to enjoy the love of riding my bike is the day i go nuts with an assault rifle :evil:
  17. stupid government tax... there is barely any profit for the petrol companies and the actual petrol costs a fraction of what we pay.

when pertrol gets to 5-10 dollars a litre we will all be riding electrics, or hydrogen bikes... i fear the day, it's a long way away i think.
  18. I've almost certainly come across wrong, so I apologise. My point was, the reason I chose 'Never' is because the original question asked at what point would fuel be the #1 absolute deciding factor over everything else.

Right now f'r me it's already a significant factor and has been for a few years; It's not hurting me financially and won't for a long time, but I've changed my personal transport habits to reduce my use of fuel, and there are a few bikes that I've totally excluded from consideration because of their absurd thirst - especially when there are similar or better bikes that consume less. It's a big factor for me. But it'll never be the 'most significant' as per the OP.

(Or am I taking "most significant" too literally?)
  19. The sooner the fuel prices climbs sufficiently to effectively either tax the 4WD tractors off the road or at least make them so unattractive, the shitful hulks end up rusting to death at the local tip

... there's at least 1 positive about rising fuel prices.....
  20. A bike purchase for me is a choice from the heart and never really a practical consideration other than consideration for the usual things like reliability. It's always going to be an impractical mode of transport as being a single parent its not something I can cart my kids about on, nor can it carry things like a Marshall stack and the rest of my music gear to rehearsals or gigs :LOL: So I wouldn't normally weigh in factors that need to be considered for your primary mode of transport - fuel economy and price of fuel therefore is low down on my criteria for bike purchasing. Range per tank though is more of an issue that I'd consider.

Of course if it came to the point that I couldn't afford the price of fuel to ride any more, then who knows what I'd do - it would also mean I couldn't afford to drive a car either.