Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Petition: Ban wire 'cheesecutter' rope barriers

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Rogues, Aug 22, 2011.

1. had this sent to me so passing it on......... maybe cut and paste to an email as well

2. A very good cause, good to see someone has gone to the effort of getting a campaign moving and that a MP is already on board.

3. I was just on hold on the phone to VICROADS, there is an automated message playing and it mentioned proof that these are saving lives. I don't think they were talking about motorcyclist!
  4. wasn't something like this done a while ago ?

signed anyway
  5. Is there any research available on different types of barriers where this has actually been looked at, either by looking at accident stats or by flinging dummies at various types of barrier?
  6. Something about cheesecutters are cheaper than armco so that's why Vicroads like them.
  7. Yes sir. This will give you just a taste...

My suggestion would be discuss WRB's in the link provided and save this thread for the petition. Cheers.
  8. If I may ask, why do we want them banned?
  9. :-s....
  10. Signed ....... oh Lilley come on ""
  11. Up the top you'll find this button called SEARCH, it will reveal all.
  12. Flying Spaghetti Monster grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    the courage to change the things I can;
    and the wisdom to know the difference.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Signed. Too late for the many that are installed already though!
  14. One thing that has always struck me as strange is the practice of placing some WRBs extremely close to the edge of the road, even when there are no nearby risk factors (trees, drop-off). Apparently the idea is to confine the effects of a crash to the roadway itself. Don't know why exactly . But if they could be placed further away, it would at least give a tumbling rider a chance to lose speed before striking them.

Might have a think about this before I sign. Probably will though.
  15. There's always in the middle of the road like I witnessed last week.
  16. From what I understand, the issue with WRB for motorcyclists isn't the wire so much as the guide posts. It was my impression the wires tended to guide a fallen rider into the post and it was the post which did the major damage.

As far as "worth" goes, unless we can compare the number of lives saved by WRB (for car/bus/truck/etc occupants) vs the number of lives taken (motorcyclists) and compare that ratio against armco, perhaps we don't have the full picture.

It may well be WRB are safer for occupants of enclosed vehicles. If this is the case, and assuming they save more people overall than armco, at what point do we consider them a better solution? At what ratio of saved vs harmed do they become viable? 10:1? 100:1? 1000:1?
  17. Signed.

- -posting on phone; spelling likely fukd
  18. Hate to say it, but I think you've just shown us the future there, Smee.
  19. Its like that EVERYWHERE in NSW. WRBs in the middle of the road, often doubled up. Ok so EVERYWHERE is an exaggeration, but there sure as hell is a lot of em.
    Havent paid so much attention since coming up to QLD, but then, right now, im cage bound and ignorant and stupid and blind.
    Ask me again in ~6 weeks ;).