Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pet birds

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by synrgy, Jun 19, 2007.

1. So does anyone here have pet birds ?

My younger sister recently bought a bird and she constantly leave it in her room, it has no human contact all day and probley very little at night.
    I started talking to the bird but it just seems to move its mouth when i start talking/ Does it it sinc with me. Pretty funny.

Anyway my sister is usually out so i take the bird in its cage and bring it into my room when im stuffing around on the PC.

The thing is s#1t scared of anyone. I try to put my hand in to get it on my finger but he bites me. I put bird seed on my hand and put it in the cage and he just runs away.

Does anyone have any idea on how i can make this bird less scared and get it eating out of my hand?

The bird is a cockateel ive been told
  2. What bird is it?
    Most are not solitary creatures so at least it should have company, bird or human.
  3. Yeah, but just get it a mirror - that's way cheaper than another bird.

... j/k, they won't talk if they have a mirror in their cage :)
  4. i have a cockatiel and a budgie.

how old is it?? they are best trained when quite young...after they are adult it becomes very hard..... generally the way most people hand train them is to hand feed them on formula when they are young and can't eat seed, this in turn makes the bird comfortable with people and after a while will settle down, from there it is a matter on constantly being with the bird and repeatedly attempting to get in to climb onto your finger...once it does this a few times \. it will be fine. Positive tone of voice also helps.

Parrots love to mimic so whistling the same sound over and over are fun once it learns the tune. Ours Wolf whistles on occasion.... I have no idea where it learned to do that :-w :twisted:

If the Bird is older however, it is a lot harder, sometimes going bake to the formula diet works to help get them used to people but it does mean taking away the seed, which mean you HAVE to feed them about once every 3-4 hours as they are adult birds and still require adult quantities of food.

your local vet/pet shop will be able to help you out here too.

An adult bird tough may be too late to train and you will be stuck with a bird that will not acclimatise to people. best you can do is get a bird friend for it.

exposure to people though is the key, parrots are communal birds and NEED company. i have the budgie to keep the Cockatiel company and we let them out in the evening for a fly around the house.
  5. Budgies are great!

My sister has a white one, has about 10 phrases it spouts.

"No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition"

"Always look on the bright side of life" (Whilst singing, he also adds the whistle)

"Carn the Power"

"What a nice little pig"

Plus all the "Hello Michelle," "Where's Cameron" little phrases
  6. We have 2 budgerigars...

1 used to belong to my mother who passed on and now we look after her dog and her budgie (promised her before she went). It's blue and lived in a cage by itself for over 10 years (well with just a mirror). It used to be very quiet and a bit scared of people.

1 belongs to the 17 year old and it's been handled fairly regularly since we got it about 3 years ago. This one (back when it had no bird company) used to screech and squark at us when we talked or went past.

For a while we kept them in different cages but gradually moved the cages closer to each other until they were right up against each other than after a while moved them into one cage.

Both birds now pay much more attention to each other and less to us and (yes I know it's hard to tell) seem more content than they were seperately.

Budgies aren't solitary birds really and our 2 definitely do better together than apart.
  7. I taught my cockatiels to wolf whistle.
    Piss funny for anyone that walked up the driveway :)
  8. Social

My mum was big into cockatiels as they were the most socialable, personable birds and had huge characters if given the room and attention to express their personalities.
    Nothing sadder than seeing a caged, emotionally neglected animal.
    Mum's bird was allowed to free range around the house and would only use the cage to pretty much eat and sleep. He would follow mum around from room to room, or else perch on the back of a couch which caught the sunlight on warm days. For a daytime nap he'd be high on the bookcase and catch a few zzz's.
    He would inspect visitors and basically owned the place.
    Glad to hear you are giving the bird some attention. Good on you.
    For trust - time and patience hey. Lots of both. It'll be worth it. For the record they can have much larger vocabularies than budgies if trained properly.
    I'm sure there are Cockatiel forums where bird computer nerds are just as passionate about posting their avairian issues as here. Might be worth checking them out.
  9. We have Bourkes parrots, a galah, and two cockatiels. We had lots more but some fcuker opened the outdoor cages and let the adult birds out - so we hand raised and sold of the babies when they were old enough.

Its always best to train birds young, but persistence will pay off. The best way to start for an adult bird is to leave your hand in the cage for as long as possible without moving it around much, and without trying to catch it - it will get the bird used to your hand being around.
  10. synrgy wrote

rule n# 1; always face it side on, never front on. standing or sitting before the bird puts you in the 'attack' position. be akward, do it side on, massive difference staight up.

rule n#2; when the bird is eating talk softly to him/her so the bird relates your voice to things that are 'good' [ie, food]

next step, buy 2 perches [round bits o wood] and get the bird to perch on the wood when you hold it. if/when the bird walks towards your hand, using the 2nd bit of wood from your other hand, run it under the the bird transfers without touching your hand. repeat until the bird tires [relaxed]. gain trust over time. is the bird sits right up the end away from you, please, have a shower, problem solved.

face the bird sideways A LOT and he/she will be eating out of your hand in no time.

good on you for considering the feelings of an animal
  11. Oh god, I can hear the lines now...

"Sorry love, that's the birds whistling... I see they have great taste though..."