Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Personal Importing

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by something_wild, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hi guys, just to begin, no this isn't another thread on "how do i import a bike from the states 'cause they're soooooo much cheaper" lol.

My soon to be bro-in-law who resides in Italy and wants to move here (Melb), is tossing up weather to bring his two Monsters with him to register etc. them here...rather than selling there, which he tells me are worth practically nothing (in his broken English, it goes something like "Ducati, they are nothing much special here in Italy, cheap to buy, not worth anyting really, you know?), then buying here where i told him they are still considered quite exotic and are generally quite expensive.

So has anyone gone through the process of personally importing a bike from Europe, or can steer me in the right direction?
    Vicroads gave me some forms and basically told me to pass on the message that it's all not worth it and to sell up there then buy here when he arrives.....very helpful...not!

Any advice would be much appreciated as i have to start giving him some $$ figures on the whole process asap.

Cheers, sw.
  2. If they are post 89 cikes you need to find a workshop that is lisenced to comply those specific models. Contact the registration department and they should be able to advise if and who can comply them.