Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Performance after first service

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Withnail, Jan 22, 2007.

1. So the R6 had its first service today, 1000km. Seems to run a bit smoother and cooler as well.

Despite my brother being a mechanic, I unfortunately did not also inherit the mechanical brain. My question is this: Why would it seem to run smoother and cooler? Given that the first service is basically just an oil/filter change and mechanical check, why would it run any different? Is it that the oil used for 0km-first service is a thicker oil designed to coat the new pistons, rings etc and more effectively float out contaminants; meaning that at the first service it is changed to a thinner oil? They put in Motul 15W50 by the way. Would a thicker oil cause warmer running? Not that it was a problem before, just that I noticed the difference (only slight mind you)

Or is it just the placebo effect of having had it serviced?

And before you ask why I didnt just call and ask my bro - its 10pm and he is in another state. Also he doesn't much care for bikes, so he is practically dead to me anyway.

2. During the run in period any minor irregularities in machined surfaces are ground down by opposing surfaces (ie piston rings on bores, shafts on bearings etc.). This generates a lot of waste material and so a thicker oil is used to help keep this in suspension and allow it to be collected in the filter (and not simply clog up oil channels). Of course this wearing in of parts requires energy - which is converted to heat. So not really that surprising that an engine runs better and cooler once it's over.
  3. Generally even the most high-tech bike use mineral oil during the crucial running period for the reasons JD describes. Once that period is finished and all the small imperfections are ground off then the switch to a synthetic (or semi-synthetic) oil can be made.
  4. Thanks very much for your excellent replies. On a similar note then, I have another question:

Riding today I found that I twice miss-shifted from first to second. I clicked it up and instead of going into second it went to neutral. Just normal sedate city riding with relatively low revs, but this is the first time it has happened.

Now given that the same oil that looks after the engine also lubricates the gears, should I be concerned? Or should I just be more forceful with my shifting? And why has the change of oil changed the way it responds to my gear shift lever inputs?

I should probably point out that there is nothing WRONG, I'm just seeking answers to these things of a technical nature that I don't quite understand.

5. That could be the new synthetic oil causing that. First I would try as you suggested and be a bit more forceful with the gear changes. If it persists however I would take it back to your mechanic.

My gear shifts from first to second slips occasionally and I think it is due to the oil I currently have in it, I will be changing back to mineral oil for the next change.
  6. some times it can be as simple as you just aren't lifting the lever high enough you toe it up but not til a dead stop, i do this at times now i'm trying to get in the habit of when changing from first to second i hold the lever up til i go to selecty third then i just reset the lever and select third as normal
  7. I find a neutral when going for second sometimes.
    I've found that when this happens I've being applying a small amount of upward pressure to the gear lever and this can cause it.
    I obviously notice it more when Im wearing thicker boots.

If this is the case you can adjust the gear level slightly to accomadate you.
    I havent worried about it due to wearing different boots all the time.
    I just pay more attention to lower my foot slightly before changing up gears.

Hope this makes sense.