Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Perception of motorcycling as dangerous

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Cruisee73, Feb 12, 2014.

1. I thought I'd do something smart and suggest to management that i organise a charity ride up the east coast stopping at our bigger outlets. It'd be for a children's charity, we'd take personal leave, wouldn't have the company logo on us or anything and it'd only be open to employees. Plan was to have a kind of relay so Melbourne riders go up to Sydney, then Sydney riders up to Qld etc so no one rode alone and didn't have to be on the road for more than 2-3 days. We then visit the outlet after pre-planning and rattle the can etc. We could keep accommodation costs down by couch surfing with colleagues. Costs the company zero. Good way to meet colleagues we've never seen, good way to raise morale, great cause for the sick kids and a great riding experience. Bosses could even hand over a large cheque to the charity of all the money we'd raised.

Management decided they wouldn't allow something so "dangerous" so it's not going to happen. Apparently the idea of riding a bike for long distances will no doubt lead to fatalities and potential legal ramifications for the firm. Really small minded and pathetic. But got me thinking, maybe others in the Netrider Community might think about trying something similar in their workplace. Help a charity, have a great riding experience, build team morale and also help counter motorcyclist's image in the wider community.

• Like Like x 1
  2. My company was the 'naming' sponsor for the local Toy Run for 10 years.

Your companies attitude is not surprising given the negative publicity motorcycling gets.

Having said that riding a motorcycle isn't the safest past time, but there's certainly more dangerous things you can do...
  3. You've got my vote. We can fit the charity part of your idea here:

That is the link to the Victorian ride but you can go to the main website for a ride in NSW. I've organsised a few of the riders in my company to get together, but there is no comment at all from non-riders. I expect others wouldn't want to support a ride as it is considered unsafe.
  4. I think event's like this are inherently more dangerous. Simply because you get the once in a blue moon type riders, who then get sucked trying to ride above their limits.

Sure this can happen at any time, but your not helping statistics wise by doing it all on the same day.
    But is it really the company's concern about what it's employees do outside of work?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. It's a cooperation. So yes they consider motorcycles dangerous. But they also consider operating a stapler without watching an hour long induction video and signing a safe work methods statement dangerous.

I wouldn't get too hung up about it. They would probably not allow a beach day because they would be afraid employees would get skin cancer.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. The company i work for banned thumb tacs because they're dangerous
  7. Well that seals, it we have lost the plot,

I did see it recently ; the plot that is; it was down a little lane quietly sobbing to itself.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. A place I worked at used to provide beer Friday afternoons, someone tripped on the steps of the site shed and sprained their wrist... they put in a workers comp claim and the employer was found negligent.

No more Friday arvo beers.

You can't really blame your employer because if you look at other charity runs eg snowy run 4 fatalities last year... no doubt if something like that could be in anyway linked to the employer some shitbag is going to claim it was the employers fault and hold out their hand.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. That's what happens when you work for a condom factory.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. You know, across the four work-sites I attend each week, there are only two people who ride. One has a 955 Triumph and the other some big cruiser of some sort....
  11. Don't you work in high schools? No way I would ride to work if it meant leaving the bike with high school kids at lunch time.
  12. I do it all the time, the kids leave the bike alone because their lives are meaningless if they even go near it
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Wouldn't that be about the same as the overall average?
  14. only takes one moron to ruin it for the rest of you.
  15. Dumbing-down, that's what it amounts to. Dumbing-down everything around us to let the stupid amongst us survive. Anti-Darwinism at its best.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. We all laugh at the USA, but Australia actually has the most ludicrous OH&S rules. Sure most are actually of benefit to us as workers. But it really has gone too far here in Australia.

For instance - council workers walking around picking up rubbish in a shopping area, need to put a warning sign out if they are in the same area for more than 15 minutes, and then log it! You can't have people walking around unsuspecting of others walking around....
  17. There's that and the " it's never my fault better get a lawyer " mentality that we have adopted as a national pastime.
  18. This might be a chicken and egg situation - which came first? Perhaps the laws, then the lawyers, then the nannys.
  19. A friend of mine who studied law for a while said something along the lines of "Our laws and law makers are reactionary, something has to happen before a law is made, they can't be made without a reason."

Explains the social engineering and knee-jerking. Not sure how to put it in chicken - egg terms.
  20. "Oh shit we broke an egg, quick, get a lawyer"