Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

People not stopping to assist..

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by cantride, Jan 1, 2007.

1. i went through Reefton with a group of 13 on sunday and we heading toward marysville down the bottom of lake mountain to head home through the spur. we do the lead and tail rider thing where noone goes in front of the lead or behind the rear and it was my shift to bring up the reari was following a learner on a 250 so we got left pretty far behind. came around a corner and all of our bikes had stopped with a guy down on the road. initially i though he was in our group but turns out hewas coming thte other way and hit a wallaby and came off bad and busted himself up. his mate had gone for help. 3 of us went to marysville me and one other went up to lake mountain where his mate had apparantly gone to find him and the rest stayed back on the two corners either end to warn traffic. not one assclown stopped or asked if we needed anything, now i thought that was discusting there was about 8 people there on bikes but i thought a t least a do you need a phone or some water for him or just something..... some people suck.

2. Given the number of bikes and people there, it is possible that people figured they might only get in the way, and that you'd try to stop them if you needed more people. Having too many people at an accident can make it harder as they all want to know what they should be doing, asking questions etc.. They may have thought they were doing the best thing. But yeah, offering a phone or water if you have it would be the least you could do as you go past if you're not waved through. :)
  3. Too many cooks. With that many riders around I wouldn't stop unless I was needed/waved-down, or medically trained ... an unfortunate incident like that doesn't need heaps of rubber-neckers, that can provide no further assistance.

Straight and direct to the point ... assclown's as those that don't flag someone down if they need water or a phone. I find it hard to believe that no-one in your group had a phone, or wasn't prepared to flag someone down if you needed one.
  4. i assume you were stepping out, waving your arms and yelling "stop, help we need a mobile phone"

i think it sucks that people drive past unattended scenes and those who try to wave em down.

years ago a person driving on a bridge noticed a huge chunk of the bridge [the road] was missing. twas dark and busy. she pulled over and tried to wave drivers down.

she stood at the side of the road waving her arms desperately and yelled "stop! wait! there's a hole in the bridge!"

those driving past would av thought she needed help. some stopped and lived, others looked at her and drove off the edge to their deaths.

thats a huge price to pay for being too busy to stop or not caring.
  5. Yep have to agree with general opinion on this one for reasons behind not stopping to help out.
    If I was to pass the same situation I would have slowed down but upon seeing no signals for required help I would have continued along my way.

When there already appears to be sufficient help or assistance there isn't a much of a need to stop and help out unless as said before you felt you could offer something to the situation.

Im not sure your opinion of those who chose to keep motoring is warranted.
    However I wasn't there and obviously can't tell you how you should feel or respond.

Hope the guy is ok
  6. Got to give give a big +1 to Den Monkey on all points.
  7. we had phones we had water..........no reception and no medi kit. a simple wond down of the window and a do you need anything is what i would at least do. hope none of you come past if i have a stack. ill die
  8. :roll:
    That being the case, I'd find knew riding partners.
    Just about everyone I have ever rode with would be more than comfortable to flag down another motorist looking for a phone and medi-kit if one was required.
    That you had 8+ riders at the scene and not one of them was prepared to flag someone down when you had a need would raise red flags in my eye's.
    If I was you, I'd be more worried about dying from the inactions of your riding mates than from others that won't stop when there is already numerous people there.
  9. obviously your missing my point. we flagged someone down who radioed in the helicopter, now i dont know about you but we dont exactly carry picnic rugs to keep him warm in our bike.... i would at least expect a wind down of the window. three of our riders initially said well theres nothing here we can do and went to take off as there was a ute there with a guy with him.
    turns out this guy is an 18 year old p plater with a 5 yo in the car and the guy was in shock, and was therefore kinda useless now had we just looked and gone ahh she'll be right the guy wouldve sat there for 1 and 1/2 hrs by himself with what was suspect punctured lungs and so forth..
  10. Have to agree with Mouth. If I was there and I needed additional assistance I simply wouldn't let anyone pass until I got the required help.
    Friend or not it would be the same.

I've been the first on the scene of an accident before and had no issues taking charge and letting people know what I needed. You will find people very responsive if you remain calm and simply tell them what needs to happen.

If the cars/bikes continued on their way its because they were not aware of the situation and your needs. Until these things are communicated to them the best way you can, I dont feel its appropriate to hold them accountable for passing by.

Well done though, for taking the time yourself to see if you could offer a hand.
    Accidents are not pleasant things to be around and they can affect you both emotionally and physically.
    While your focused on the victim, don't forget about your own needs and responses to what you have witnessed.
  11. Cantride, from what you've written it seems that the drivers were behaving perfectly reasonably. What appears to be unreasonable is your expectations.

When anyone, be they driver, rider, or pedestrian, approaches an accident they have two basic choices - stop, or keep going. Bear in mind that having unnecessary people or vehicles at the scene of an accident can make it more difficult for emergency services personnel to do their work. Here is what I consider to be a sensible guide to deciding whether or not to stop:

1. Is there anyone who appears capable of asking for help? (i.e. is there at least one person standing, not attending to other victims, who does not appear dazed or injured).
    - NO: stop and offer assistance
    - YES: go to question 2

2. Does that person appear to be asking for assistance? (e.g. hand signal)
    - YES: stop and offer assistance
    - NO: keep going.
    - NOT SURE: stop and offer assistance - move on if none required.

You say that there were 8 of you standing at the scene and that only one person was injured. Even if 3 people are attending to the injured person, that still leaves 5 people capable of standing and asking for help.

You then said that you waved down one motorist, who stopped.

I'll agree that anyone that you attempted to wave down who didn't stop is an arsehole. But it appears from your post that you didn't attempt to wave anyone else down.

If you didn't need further help, then shut up and stop complaining about the fact that a bunch of people didn't stop to stand around being useless. If you did need further help and didn't ask for it then you're a fool.
  12. at the risk of repeating everything thats already been stated...

yeah if i was riding (or dirving) along and saw someone in trouble on teh side of the road i would stop to help. BUT if there were lots of people already there i probably wouldnt. HOWEVER, i guess even if there were lots of people stopped already yet someone was out on the road waving people down, then i would assume they needed more help and would stop.

Having too many people stop at an accident scene is not only unhelpful but downright dangerous for all involved. I understand your initial reactions at being pissed off that noone was stopping but i think you were probably just stressed out by the situation and worried for the other rider.
  13. +1 couldn't of written it better myself....
  14. +3. the extra 1 is for may tactfull way of saying it earlier.

i have a joke for all.

when a man arrived on a crash scene he saw an unconsious woman on the road with her pants ripped off. he took off his hat and placed it over her pink bits.

another man approached and said "ok people, i know first aid, lets assist her until the ambo arrives."

"ok" the hatless man replied. "what do we do?"

"Well, the first thing we have to do is get him out of her".
  15. given that there were a few bikes at the scene of the accident, i dont find it at all unreasonable that people passed on without stopping.

if you flag them down, i cant imagine people not stopping. most assume that theyre not needed, and it is by all means a reasonable assumption to make.
  16. ill finish this thread by saying... i dont give two hoots how many people were there, I (yes me) would still have wound my window down do you need anything?

thats all.
  17. thats very thoughtful of you. there arn't many people who would do that. we need more people who stop and help rather than those who assume someone else will.

personally, i wouldnt av stopped and asked unless the scene showed symptoms of need.

the absence of an ambulance may have prompted me to ask if they need to borrow my phone.

stump it up!
  18. On a side note.

I often ride alone, and have once or twice come across a rider/driver who was stopped on side of road I stopped to check and was often waved on. I fear one day I may pass by a rider/driver who may be seriously hurt.

Hypothetically, I stop and render assistance, there is no phone coverage and I have not seen a car pass by for at least 30 minutes. The injured requires medical assistance urgently I am unable to offer more than CPR. Is it better to stay with the injured and hope that someone passes by soon? Or am I better off riding away and getting to an area with mobile phone coverage or looking for a landline? Then returning to the scene to wait for emergency services.

Assume the injured is in and out of consciousness, I have a fair idea the last town was about 30 minutes away.

What are my options?
  19. I came across a middle-aged female bikerider two weeks ago near moorebank, obviously stopped and distressed. I asked if I could help at all. She practically spat at me!
  20. Thats a no win situation.
    I would do everything I could to render assistance and make them comfortable, and leave a note pinned to their clothes.
    It would really depend. If I thought they were or could be in a life threatening situation I'd stay and wait. You could keep them alive for a while if you were there.
    Remember in most cases you just need a high spot (eg: top of a hill) to get a mobile signal, so you probably just need to go a short distance.