Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

People are strange.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by munecito, May 7, 2007.

1. Today on my day off I decided to go for a blast on the scooter.

It was very nice, the little thing gives me a different kind of joy than the bike. But what I noticed was how the other riders actitude was very different to the actitude they display when I´m riding the bike.

For example, whenever I splitted to the front at the traffic lights there were a few nasty looks and a couple of shaking helmets. I don´t know why because I did it all the same way I do it on the bike and this scooter is very fast off the mark up until 60-70kmh, so it wasn´t like I was holding the traffic.

Another thing I noticed was that the nods weren´t returned, even by some of the usual riders that always return my nods when I´m on the bike but this time I got a nod back from a Harley rider.

And the funniest yet most disturbing thing happened at a traffic light in North Sydney. A guy on a CBR600. maybe 900, was waiting for the light to change. He was pillioning a girl. So I got to the lights and nodded at him and even thought he was looking at me he didn´t return the nod. So when I saw the lights were about to change I reved the scoot and just moved my head to let him know that he could go in front. He started to shake his head. Anyway by this point I was sure that we had a :jerk: beside so decided to tease him a bit more. In the next set of lights I sat beside him and when he was looking at me I pointed my helmet and his helmet which happened to be the same model and gave him a thumbs up and he started to slap the bike like if it was too much for him that a scooter rider had the same helmet he has.

After that the light changed and I kept going on my merry way.

I think I have to take the scooter out a bit more.

2. that'll teach ya to be friendly :LOL:

Ya should have had that black posties helmet of mine and they would have fallen off the bike in fits of hysteria :LOL: :LOL:

At least I'll give ya a wave!
  3. g'day will,

it's the same when you go from 2 legs to wheel chair/crutches. people see me as week and i become a target.

i would nod at a scooter but i wouldn't really want to. you know, you're taking the same risk as a motorbike, so why not ride a bike? i don't get it.

what you are is what the world reacts to. when you change the world changes.

cheers :cool:
  4. I noticed that the other day when I was going out of Wakehurst to Warringah Road.

Because I can!? Stumpy i ride a bike everyday of the week and I love it but we also have this nice scooter at home and it is nice to be able to use it. I enjoy riding both, they are very different and of course handle differently. I don´t get all this motorcycle vs scooter thing. For me we are all riders.

It is true that for the nature of the mayority of the scooters (auto transmition) we can see a lot more riders without a clue on them. But as I said before I ride everyday of the week and I have seen a lot of riders without a clue or with a bigger than them ego on motorcycles.

I think that is one of the reasons why at least in my experience the riding community is never heard. And it is because we are too busy criticising ourselves internally (scooterists, squids, bikies, posers, etc) instead of using all that energy in getting together and get a stronger voice.

5. try riding a stock hornet 900. looks like a sports bike from the back, but from the front it looks like a cruiser with the big round headlight and bars. so i'd get nods from cruisers coming the other way but not all sports bike riders.
  6. [​IMG] "NERD!!"
  7. sounds to me like the other chap thought you wanted a race and he didn't want any part of it.
  8. hey, im all for that. each to their own. i dont understand it and im aware of that. doesnt mean im going to judge you. i dont judge people.

stump it up! :cool:
  9. Hey Ktulu, one of yours. :cheeky:

10. lol! that was great! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    ................................................breath in.
  11. When you're a stranger
    Faces look ugly
    When you're alone....
  12. I smell an image off at ten spaces!!! :popcorn: :popcorn:
  13. Yeah, but if you keep quoting images you will have your post deleted, (or be left chained to a decaying dead dog in a cold dark cellar, I can't make up my mind which).
  14. I ride a scooter because it's what I choose to ride. My beautiful black Vespa GTS250 rocks my world and looks gorgeous. It goes as fast as I need and if I really want to ride side saddle in a skirt, I can. :p

It's just a different mode - it's like choosing a Mini Cooper S over a Ford. The aesthetics appeal to me. The history and the culture appeal to me.

I get what is being said in the OP - people make certain assumptions and they can be wrong.

I was nearly sandwiched by a Lexus 4WD who sped up I while I was merging yesterday - the fat stogie smoking driver made the assumption he would get stuck behind me, so did something really stupid and dangerous. At the same time, the car travelling behind me in my lane decided to undertake me using the bicycle lane.

The nice young lady on the pretty little scooter gave the latter quite a surprise with her potty mouth. He drove a respectful 200m behind me the rest of the way.
  15. Good on you for sticking it up the guy on the CBR Will. Some riders have themselves pegged as better than all other road users. And giving that one in particular a stir is great. The fact that you have the same helmet as him is a pearler, he's probably gone home and burned the helmet :grin:
    Have noticed you get less nods and less respect on the road when on a scoot. Might not help that the scoot I sometimes ride is pink but still my observation stands :p
  16. Bah, I am friendly towards anyone else on the road wearing a helmet.
    As I've said before, if I lived in the city, I'd have a maxi scoot.
    If you don't acknowledge me back, your loss.

Regards, Andrew.
  17. Can I please have the latter :LOL: :LOL:
  18. i wave to anyone on two wheels :p

19. Scooooter trash

:::Warning, Posted on another discution but still fits perfect here::: :p

Hi All,

I don't see alot of diference between "motorbikes" and "Scooters" I mean when it comes down to it they are both motorbikes:p

Some dynamics change, but not always....

For instance compare this "Motorbike"

With this "Scooter"

And as we can see both are of similar size.. the specs are similar.. the "scooter" even happens to have space to put your helmet and does not require the chain to be lubed or adjusted like the "motorbike"

The way I see it "Scooters" are just automatic motorbikes.. even now with the introduction of "Sport scooters" such as the nexus500, or simply differently size "scooters" like the Yamaha Nouvo which I posted above - the gap between these two breeds of motorbike is getting smaller.

We may never see the day when "scooters" get to the same level as "R1s" but I also haven't seen many fully automated sports cars :wink:

Each to his own... the machine only counts for so much. It's not what you ride, it's how you ride.

Peace out :)