Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pensioners abduct adviser who lost money

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Mr Flibble, Jun 25, 2009.

1. This sounds like something out of Southpark :)

A financial adviser has been abducted and tortured in a four-day ordeal by a group of five old-age German pensioners angry he lost their investment money.

James Amburn, 56, was abducted outside his apartment building in Speyer, western Germany, after enjoying a drink at an outdoor cafe with a friend on Tuesday last week, the London's Telegraph reported.

He was hit with a Zimmer frame before being bound with duct tape, bundled into a car boot and driven nearly 500km to the home of two of his attackers on the shores of Lake Chiemsee in Bavaria.

There, the boss of investment firm Digitalglobalnet alleges, he was chained up "like an animal", burned with cigarettes, beaten and had two of his ribs broken with a chair leg.

Amburn said he was jumped from behind outside his home.

"Then they bound me with masking tape until I looked like a mummy. It took them quite a while because they ran out of breath. When they loaded me into the car I thought I was a dead man," the Telegraph quoted him as saying.

After he was driven through the night, they arrived at the Lake Chiemsee property.

"I was led into the cellar.

"I saw a folding bed and a WC reserved for me. They immediately went on about their money. I told them what I had told them before, that due to market conditions, unfortunately it was gone.

"I was struck. Again and again they threatened to kill me. The fear of death was indescribable. I never thought I would make it out alive."

He said he told his attackers that he could get their money if he sold certain securities in Switzerland - but would have to send a fax to a bank to do so.

They agreed and he sent a fax, but unbeknown to his kidnappers he scribbled a message on the bottom of the paper for whoever received it to call police.

The Swiss bank telephoned German police, and an armed team of commandos stormed the house in the early hours of Saturday morning, rescuing Amburn who was clad only in his underwear.

Volker Ziegler, the chief public prosecutor from nearby Traunstein, said the pensioners "were angry because they invested money in properties in Florida and he lost it all. This was black money they hadn't declared to the revenue authorities in Germany."

Five pensioners - aged between 60 and 79, and including two retired doctors - now face up to 15 years in jail each for illegal hostage-taking, torture and grievous bodily harm if found guilty.

A physician was on hand to help Amburn's captors into police vans because of their various infirmities.
  2. Yaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!....Grey Power!! :LOL:
  3. Hmmm Ray Martin has been awful quiet lately... I bet he had something to do with orchestrating it! :shock:
  4. :rofl:
  5. that is just all kinds of gold... what an awesome escape too.

i like how they were charged with "illegal hostage taking"

they must have forgotten their hostage permit
  6. I'd have escaped, easy.

Just yell "Bingo!" and they'd all leave the room quite promptly, grumbling the whole way - giving you time to make your escape.
  7. Crack me up, Chris.