Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

penalty for riding un restricted bike

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dr650, Apr 30, 2005.

1. HI just before i get any stupid ideas and jump on my mates r6 for a quick run can someone please advise me of the penalty for riding a bike not on the LAMS list in nsw.It is a matter of interest not something i will be doing.Cant find on the net...Thanks

2. Not sure exactly how it works in NSW, but this is what happened to me in Vic...

I still had my restricted licence (meaning I was only allowed to ride up to a 250cc down here) and I got pulled over on my GSX-R600.

The cop gave me a $105 fine for riding the bigger bike (which ended up costing bout $140 coz I paid late), then we had a chat about how nice the bike was.

Then they asked me to wait while they drove off before I rode home.

Not ideal, but they didnt seem too stressed about it.
  3. Yeh if youre not an asshole to them then they will usually let you get away with a fine.

Being very careful with what i say, a lot of us rode more powerful bikes than 250cc on our p plates as daily riders and never had a problem, so one squirt should be ok. More powerful bikes like 600cc's are a lot safer anyway as they have better braking than most 250s and if you need to get out of a situation quickly you have almost instant throttle response, on a 250 you have no hope even on an RR, i know this from experience.
  4. found a thread with info about my questions...thanks for the comments anyway...cheers