Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Penalties are NOT the answer....

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Nov 30, 2006.

1. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20846486-1702,00.html

Note, as I have complained about many times, that the second driver was already disqualified and the car was unregistered. If she had not been speeding these two breaches of the law would have gone undetected. Which would have been fine for her, but disastrous if she had hit and killed an old-age pensioner crossing the road while she WASN'T speeding.....

2. To have an accident not while speeding? That's unpossible!

3. The fact is Paul, that people like this do not respect authority, they think "The MAN" has it in for them. It's all someone else's fault.
    Combine this with the fact that they know if they get caught driving unlicenced and or unregistered they will only get another slap on the wrists......
    We had a guy at my old work, got caught unlicenced, drink driving 3 times! Failed to turn up to court third time, is now inside for six months.
    Personally, I think real penalties should be handed out, like 12 months good behaviour bonds or garnishing wages for a year, and that would include Centrelink payments. Taking their cars away doesn't work, they are usually $500 heaps, and they just buy another one.
    Before everyone raves on, these are the people that usually cause the big accidents and are uninsured. The people who plough over pedestrians and keep going. They have no right to be on the roads.

Regards, Andrew.

4. So the female goes out and does it again...and again..and again.
    There are two reasons for locking people up.
    1 To punish them
    2 To protect the community.
    Why don't they just do it?

5. Gawd, I love this thread!

All blame on the courts!!!!

6. How do you think the police feel, after all their work in getting the person to court?

7. I thought that's what I said? Blame the courts!

Oh, I think Ihave some idea how the police feel... :grin:

8. I couldn't agree more ...