Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Peaches update 4: She don’t like hair pin turns…

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Peaches, May 26, 2008.

1. Hello All,

I think I speak for most of the Learners at yesterday’s South Learner’s run that hair pin turns are a pain in the arse.

Puttering along Macquarie Pass, I was gaining confidence around the 25 km/h turns when all of a sudden a 15km/h “turn†sign came up.

Ruthie on Peaches, in 2nd gear: “Wow… never seen one of those before, I wonder what gear I should take the turn in…â€

*Peaches arrives at said turn in under 2 seconds*

*Ruthie looks up at said turn and goes :eek: *

Ruthie: Oh crap 2nd gear will NOT climb that. What do I do what do I do…

*clicks gear into first at last minute, turns head like one of those characters in the Exorcist*

*nearly clips a Corolla coming the opposite direction*

Ruthie: Aieeee… go little bike, go go go!!! :?

*Peaches climbs hill in one piece* :grin:

The next hair pin turns I took at a wider angle, which definitely helped and I was a bit more confident on them. But berluuudy hell the first one (and second!) was petrifying. :?

Now, here are my questions:

1. How do you tackle hair pin turns accurately and confidently?
    2. Should I have been in first? Was that the right gear?
    3. Are there any methods of “preparing for a turn†– what are the best lines?

Also there was a rider who cut in from my left while I was in a turn – freaky, freaky stuff. :shock: Made me squeak but I just continued in my line (phew!). Of course it didn’t help when a big bike then cut me from the right about two seconds after the CBR250 undertook me. Eeep. Ok I’ll shut up now… I know I know, life goes on… :roll:

Ps – it was lovely to meet everyone that turned up for the ride! Thanks for all the lovely compliments about Piggy as well, we were both very flattered. Hopefully there’ll be another learner ride soon….
    :grin: :grin: :grin:
  2. i reverse around them.
  3. I beg your pardon? What do you mean by "reverse around them"?
  4. On a CBR125 - come to a complete stop, put both feet down, lift bike and rotate 90 degrees. Move forwards slightly and repeat :grin:.
  5. ROFL
  6. This is going to be my least-helpful reply ever. :LOL:

The two REALLY tight switchback uphill hairpins on Macquarie Pass?

I don't. :LOL:

The left-hand one confuses the hell out of me; their tightness is right in that hazy area between my maximum slow-riding speed and my slowest 'normal' speed, particularly if I don't try for a late apex. :?

I'm sure with bawls of steel and a lot of lean angle I could go around it in 2nd without feathering the clutch. It'd be just like the "free ride" at the HART skidpan, doing tight 180* turns in 2nd with pegs dragging...

For tight uphill (or downhill) hairpin bends I try to stay as wide as I can within my lane, as the road is flatter (less hilly) there. Staying wide also means you can carry a bit more speed rather than slow-riding around.

In the car, where I'm a lot more confident with Macquarie Pass, I try to perform a 'late apex turn' for those - staying wide within my lane, then turning tightly and... apexing late. Seems more comfortable than when cars try to cut the corners uphill.

So there you have it. My most useless post ever. :grin: But at least it might be reassuring that 180-degree, steep switchbacks aren't just confusing for beginners.

Edit: Paging Hornet600, Hornet600 to the front desk... ;)
  7. you were far more helpful than me, spots.
  8. I would be really surprised if you should be taking a 15kph hairpin in first… Second for sure, but first will be very “jumpy†for want of a better word. The throttle control will be very difficult. Now going in wide and slow out quick is the way to approach any corner, so it sounds like you learnt very quickly there.
    As for people overtaking you on a learners ride in a corner… Slap em around the ears. That is the last thing you need while getting your confidence up.
    I mean if they are on a bigger bike they should be able to leave you on the exit, so taking you mid corner with a big shinny L on your tail is damned rude and dangerous.
  9. Peaches, prepare early and take as wide a line as you can.

If I read your post correctly it sounds like another bike carved you up on the inside which is illegal and a big No No (unless invited).

Hey you made it.
  10. I’m sorry, I’m a bit loss here. So I should walk the bike up and down a hair pin turn? Er… I don’t think I was that vertically challenged that I had to do so though… I still managed to make all four turns with my feet on the pegs, in first gear?

FL so I should be taking it in second? Wouldn’t I run wide though?

Ok so what I did on Sunday is wrong then?

Ps – Yup, was leaning into a right hand corner and a cbr250 came in from my left and cut in front of me. That was scary because I lost sight of a bit of my line, but then I saw Kim again so that helped. Freaky stuff.
  11. With respect, Falcon-Lord (probably) hasn't seen this hairpin bend.

It's the mother of all hairpins; a true 180 degree switchback, with the road folding back on itself just one metre apart. If you're in the outside lane heading the other way it's not so bad. There are no lane markings so you're really spoilt for choice as to which line to take.

If you're on the inside lane of the turn, though, it's really tight, and the road surface is a bit bumpy.

As I said, I seem to go around them in slow-riding fashion, clutch feathered in first gear. Most of my experience with Mac Pass is in the sportscar, not on the bike. Sunday was my second time going uphill with the Tiger.

With confidence you could do it in 2nd, looking backwards like an owl, tipping the bike over and negotiating it.

But I like to think there's no shame in approaching it cautiously, treating it as if it were a slow uphill U-turn, if you're unfamiliar with it.
  12. Hey Ruth, the way I tackle these tight switchbacks is to go past the apex as far away from the corner as possible and look WAAAY back over your shoulder at your exit point which should be the inside line of the secnd half of the switchback)

Not too fast......................but not in first unless it is really steep ......there are steeper ones around (*thinking about 5km/h Galston Gorge craziness* :shock: )

Or you could do the motard style of charging up, locking the back up and sending it sideways and then blast back up the other side
  13. I would be happy to mentor some rides on the Pass, just give me a call. I have been travelling it since I got my license in 1968, and I travel it two days a week, up and down, for work, so I've got a reasonable handle on it.

Those hairpins are a bit daunting, but a couple on the Jamberoo Pass are worse, and there's a couple of doozies on Barengary as well!
  14. Thanks for the feedback guys, most helpful. So now I know I can take i t in second gear. I have to remember that........ I just hope I won't run wide.

Mr Charlie, wouldn't going to the far apex cause you to be in the line of traffic coming from the opposite direction though?

E.g. in the second turn up Mac Pass, where it's a sharp turn up to the left?
  15. Actually - often a late apex can help prevent interactions with oncoming vehicles, road hazards, and tightening-radius bends. :)

Behold, MS Paint diagrams!

Late apexing helps ensure we don't run wide on corner exit, by making sure we stay wide until it's safe to 'tip in'.

I have a friend who apexes too early, all the time. He apexes early, then either runs wide into oncoming traffic, or has to brake mid-corner to tighten his line. It's not good at all in road riding.

And a crude 'late apex' on that hairpin of doom. Because there're no lane markings you sort of have to use your imagination for how 'wide' is 'too wide'... But at least with a late apex you have the option to tighten your line if you have to, because you left that option in reserve.
  16. jd & joel .. :rofl: :rofl:
    Peaches ... I'd take Paul up on his offer :wink:
  17. Sounds like a good ride! (with a bloody scarey looking corner by the sounds of things)

So when do we get one of these learner rides in Brisbane? It'd be great to get a chance to ride around and have a few people around (safety in numbers and all that stuff)
  18. i have a pic here somewhere for a trip i did up there a few months back i'll see if i can dit it up so u can study it for the best way to aproch it

as u can see its actually a pritty wide corner if u stay to the left
  19. Like everyone else said, use up as much road as you can on the entry. This can feel daunting at first because you feel drawn to the inside kerb because you are worried about running wide. In the turn, keep your body more upright than the bike. This will tighten your turning radius, it's to do with geometry and physics and stuff. Low speed cornering is quite different and needs a bit of practice to become confident.
  20. Yep, that's the right-hander going up the hill, Blazzer. :)

I suspect Peaches had more trouble with the left-hander further up the hill where you're in the inside lane.