Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Peaches update 3: Old Rd, rain, Piggy drenched

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Peaches, May 19, 2008.

1. Hello All!

Just wanted to share with you what happened on Sat and as usual – any advice would be appreciated!

Sat was my first “long-ish†ride after dear phizog’s invite to go up Old Rd. Was nervous as a mouse staring at the maw of a tabby cat because I haven’t done twisties before. :shock: BUT the day turned out to be fantastic. Had a blast around the twisties, took the corners slowly but surely, met up with a couple of netriders who were absolutely awesome and helpful, and had piccys taken too!

I saw a piggy (not my pillion) coming towards me at one stage around a twisty and I had moment of panic. Didn’t grab a fistful of brakes or anything, but had a quick look down at my taco – 5 under the limit. Hah! I poked my tongue out at him and continued on my way. :p

Jeff and I headed up to Rouse Hill to meet up with a few other netriders at the Mean Fidler, and might I recommend their Stockman’s pizza? Very scrumptious indeed. Meeting up with the second bunch of netriders confirmed my suspicions from the start – that you guys are awesome people! Very helpful, encouraging, and patient!

BUT things took a turn for the worse for me because the skies turned ominous and rain started pouring. :cry: Gulp. First ride in the wet. I was only on the road for about half an hour, visibility was atrocious but I just practiced what Jeff and the other netriders told me to do – allow more breaking distance and take it easy. And BOOYA! I got home safely. :biker:

Strangely enough, I didn’t notice any difference riding in the wet otherwise – anyone feel the same way?

BUT there were a couple of things I noticed / experienced on Sat, that I need your advice on. Here are a couple of them.

1. Ache in arms – maybe it’s my first time being in the saddle for so long, but my arms were aching on Sat night. Does that mean my technique’s wrong and I shouldn’t be so tense in my arms? What can I do to avoid this next Sunday for the Learner’s run?

2. Bad visibility – ok. I admit it, I should have used the high beams in certain sections of road where there were no headlights. Peaches’ one eye was useless in the rain… but is there a specific way of riding in the rain to get better visibility?

3. Being confident in twisties – does this come with practice? I was holding up a few of the other riders because I was taking 45 corners at 50 to 60 (max), sometimes at the recommended speed limit. I was also at times nervous around the sharp 35 km/h bends… anyway to overcome it?

4. Climbing uphill – ok, question to CBR125 owners perhaps. Jeff was flashing his lights and honking me at one stage to change lanes on the freeway because there was a truck coming up a hill behind me, fast. I didn’t realise he was there because I was concentrating on what was ahead of me.

Peaches was in 4th gear, full throttle revving at about 8k, and she was climbing the hill at about 65 km/h…… ummm, third wouldn’t have been any better I think. Anyway I changed lanes and the truck zoomed past me about 15 seconds later. Apparently the same thing happened to ccf, another girl on a 125 on the same road, on the same day. We were chatting about it at Rd Warriors café, and another rider did the same thing to her – ask her to move from the truck’s way because she wasn’t aware that the truck was coming behind her at speed.

My question is this – how do you avoid those situations when you have no one there to tell you what to do, also what can you do to go faster uphill?

Ccf is a very light and small chick, and she was doing about the same speed I was doing up that same hill, so it can’t be a weight issue…

Phew, that was a long post – thanks for reading, advice much appreciated! Thank you all!

Ps – Piggy was drenched from the rain. She had clumpy pink fur by the end of the ride, but I didn’t blow dry her (I don’t think Jeff has a blow drier anyway). She’d have looked like a puffball otherwise, me thinks. Not fashionable for next week's Learner's run!

2. 1. Ache in arms
    A) over time you will learn to relax and you will gain more endurance.. done worry about it. On my first long rides I would be so cramped up it was hard to reach for the clutch and brake!!

2. Bad visibility
    A) In my experience throwing more light onto the situation causes light to reflect of the rain rather then lighting your path.
    Are you using a tinted visor??
    Actually reducing light (lowering contrast) will allow a clear vision of the path.

3. Being confident in twisties
    A) On my CBR125R forum I have vid's of cornering technique if you haven't seen them..

4. Climbing uphill
    A) Spec wise 8k in 4th gear on flat is 80kmph, the cbr125r doesn't have a great amount of torque, especially in its higher gears.. you must carry momentium into sutiations like this.
    The bikes max HP output is @ 10k RPM, when you find yourself approaching something like this you will have to run into it faster and maintain around 10K... 3rd @ 10k would have been 80Kmph.
  3. Hi Peaches!

(Snipping up the quotes for compactness)

Hmm, could be two things (that I can think of) - If the riding position on the CBR125R has you leaning forward, sports-bike style, you might be placing a bit of weight on your wrists. Trying to support some/all of your weight with your legs and stomach/lower-back muscles will take weight off of your arms, but does take some practice. Orrr you could be too tense, perhaps. Possibly even both.

That said, a long day in the twisties (like, 300-400km) takes a bit of endurance too. :)

I guess it does. Don't worry about going superdooper fast just yet, though. I still have to remind myself that my tyres (probably) have more grip than I have guts.

Checking your mirrors on the straights to see if there's anyone behind you, when you've got time between the corners. :) As for going faster uphill.. Less weight! Moar powaaar! More realistically; hunkering down over the tank like a Superbike racer will help reduce aerodynamic drag, which will free up a bit more power for climbing the hill.
  4. I think that for the ride next week you should consider some decent wet weather gear for the pig. I'm concerned that you didn't have any way to dry her out and warm her up, and am hoping that she hasn't caught cold.

Also, do you have any protective gear for her? I know pig skin is a leather, but I think she should have some proper cow skin back-up. Do Draggins make an alternative, should she not wish to go beefy?
  5. Thanks guys. Geez, I never thought about that… hunkering down and hiding behind the fairing (or what little there is) while going uphill. I don’t like crouching down because I feel as if I have less control of the bike… is it just my imagination? Also, will try going in third next time. I hate bringing the bike above 8k because Peaches rattles like crazy.

Also, nup. Got a clear visor. But I felt very unsafe in certain sections where there were no cars ahead of me that I can sort of follow… had to depend on the white markers on the road… hated it.

And just for you, Mr Backmarker, a pic of piggy and moi on Old Rd. Taken by The Yak.

6. Arrrgh sorry for the pic size. how do i resize pics?
  7. Glad you're getting there Peaches.
    Cab you resize the bl00dy pic please :wink:
  8. Very sorry! I'm trying to figure out how to do it. I'm a technophob. Help anyone???
  9. Regarding resizing Peaches, right click on the picture and select edit. If windows picture viewer is your default application, select picture from the top toolbar then click on resize. You'll get a new toolbar to the right named resize. In the first dropdown box select 'web large'. Click ok and your done. Will be slightly different on vista or other programs. Just remember to make a copy of the picture first so you have the original as well.

To answer your questions.
    1) Could be a result of your posture. Try not to slouch your back as you tend to put weight on your wrists by doing so. It's also that your using muscles that you normally wouldn't and they will soon develop with time.

2)Riding in the rain is always a little tricky at the start. The only real advice is to slow down for the conditions, allow more braking distance, avoid oil patches and concentrate. I pretty much always ride like a wuss in the rain.

3)Confidence will come with practice Peaches. Practice, practice, practice! If you know that you are holding up a rider behind you wave them through. You can do this by indicating for them to overtake or waving them through with your right hand. Pull left a little first to allow them more room. This way you remain in control and don't have to worry about the rider behind you. Just remember to do it in a safe place.

4)You should always be checking you mirrors Peaches. You need to be aware of what is around you at all times. Had you been doing this you would have noticed the truck coming up on you. You don't mention what lane you were in, but I'm hoping far left. If you need to perform an emergency manouver, knowing what is in the lanes around you gives you an advantage.

Anyway, it's good to see that your riding is improving. Keep it up.
  10. Glad to hear your getting out there!

I think the other people have pretty much nailed it regarding your Q's.

I always downshift when I need to overtake/speed up. Or if I'm already in the right gear/rpm I pull the clutch in and let it out real quick whilst giving it a fist full of revs. And then hunker down over the nugget.

Just another thing about riding in the rain. When cornering, don't get onto the lane dividers/paint, they tend to be quite slippery.

Looks like you had an awesome day, you'll get addicted to twisties no doubt.
  11. You did well :)

1. You're tensing up and gripping the bars tighter than necessary - always happens when you're stressed, eg. don't know the road, hairy conditions, not used to something, etc. Next week every now and again concentrate on what your arms are doing - you'll find them tight, just make yourself relax them. With enough practice you make your arms stay relaxed all the time.

2. Consider how far you need to see, can you guess roughly where the road goes? Can you see far enough ahead to avoid roadkill on the road?

3. Confidence comes with practice. 60 in 45ers isn't that bad at all. I'm very slow compared to others and generally don't get more than 80-85 ever in 45ers. The tighter stuff is the same, just need more practice and working on your cornering, eg. entry speed + gear, line, throttle control, weighting of body.

4. You're kind of stuffed here, best advise is to hone your patience and always be in the far left lane when going up hills.

5. Need to be aware of your environment - probably the most single important thing in motorcycling, you must be aware of cars in front, to the sides and behind so you know what traffic and individual cars are doing so that you can predict when they might pull out on you (generally if you think they are going to pull out on you, they are). Once you're more relaxed with the basics of riding, your general riding technique becomes second nature and gives you more brain processing power to spend on observing whats going on around you. The more you ride in traffic the better this skill gets. I commute 5 days so I'm fairly psychic :LOL:
  12. So, we should keep an eye out for the 125 with the pig on the back, out on the old road from now on?

Perhaps the next adventure should be the putty?
  13. I think the sore arms thing shows you were tensing up and gripping too tightly.
    Try to keep aware of how hard you are gripping and if you find yourself doing it relax your arms and concentrate on gripping the tank with your thighs more.
    As regards to hills you'll need to get some speed up in anticipation and then try to keep the revs up by changing down gear. Keep checking your mirrors every 10 seconds or so to maintain awareness of whats coming up from behind.
    I hate riding on the freeway, I do all sorts of detours to avoid it!!! :grin:
  14. :shock:

Right. Always check mirrors to make sure I know what's behind me. Ok. Will do. I do check my mirrors when I'm on main roads etc when there's heaps of cars, but I don't tend to do it on freeways because I'm kept busy slowing down/speeding up to have enough "buffer" from the cars that overtake me.

That being said though I did do 110 at one stage on the freeway heading up to Berowra. Wheeeeeee... fun. Except for the vibration between my thighs. I seriously hope Peaches gets better after her first service :cry:

Also, ummm not sure where Putty is. And I won't be able to go there unless I have someone with me. Wouldn't dare do it on my own. :cry:
  15. Congrats on loosing your twisties virginity, and with a pink pig no less :shock:

You'll get better with corners the more you do them. I know the one corner in the natio that I really bludgered through and ended up over the double white lines on my first time. Now it's a great fun corner and I come out nice and tight and grinning

Think I need to become more of a twisties slut and ride a few roads other than natio :twisted:
  16. Is there a regular Netrider informal OPH weekend ride? I ride down from the Central Coast when I get a chance - and I can sneak away from family committments..... :-({|=
    I'm a newbie too so I'd be more than happy to meet up some time.
  17. Someone should organise one. Not putting my hand up here tho :p
    If I've got nothing planned for the early saturday afternoon I do a run between 12-3.

Heres my suggestion:
    Meet: Berowra mobile, regroup:road warriors, regroup/farwell: fence of closed section
  18. I do not think you'll find a shortage of people around here to ride the old road, usually a few out on the putty as well. I'm always up for a run if there's some company to complain to.
  19. In case you've never thought about it, it's a good idea to do this even whilst stopped waiting at the lights. At least until there's a few cars queued up behind you.

In short, never trust that those behind you are any more likely to do the right thing than those in front. :roll:
  20. Geeez riding is damned hard. :?

Check mirrors. Relax arms. Set up in corners. Brake gently to avoid falling to avoid kissing the gravel. Watch out for cagers. Avoid potholes. Get in the right gear while going uphill to avoid getting hit by a truck. I’ve got so much to learn before my pot of luck runs out… :cry:

It's depressing.