Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Peaches needs a mentor!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Peaches, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Hello All,

The position of Mentor has just been made vacant as Peaches moves on to the next phase of her exciting life as the bike with the Pink Pig!

Peaches has just moved in with Ruthie in her new apartment in Neutral Bay. As such all three of us require a kind, patient mentor close to home who is willing to put up with skittishness, loads of newbie questions, and the occasional night and day rides to up Ruthie’s riding skills.

Requirements:

Patient
    Kind
    Tolerant of mistakes
    Willing to wait for Peaches to catch up
    Happy to provide constructive feedback

Remuneration:

Coffee (or chai lattes if you like) at Maisys
    And the overall warm fluffy feeling of helping a fellow rider find her feet (or wheels)

Bonus:

If you’re super duper fantastic, Ruthie will even give the successful candidate Pink Piggy’s twin sister, Miss Piggy (she’s a lighter pink to Piggy’s current neon pink). They make great pillions and are excellent company on long, twisty rides.

Offer open to all in the lower North Shore area, or anyone who is happy to tee up with me, Peaches and Piggy for some “long-ish†term mentoring. PM me for more details and contact numbers!

I will be most grateful to anyone who can help out! Many thanks,

Xoxo
    R

2. What happened to Jeff? I thought he was mentoring you?

3. mentoring my other half in life is enough for me, to add another one is just asking for trouble :)

4. hmmmm, so a couple of female riders want someone to give them lessons . . .

Good thing I'm in Adelaide, if I was in Sydney I might get run over in the rush :shock:

5. i will be in North Ryde tomorrow night. i can mentor you on drinking and being a bogan in the big smoke!

6. stay on the road, the footpaths are not safe. :grin: :grin: :grin:

its all harmless jokes peaches, dont get angry :cool:

7. Kudos Peaches for trying to get your biking sorted out. Pick your mentor well... you will probably pick up their bad habits. so a rider who thinks about their riding and tries to undo their own bad habits is the way to go.

If you can afford it, do some HART courses as well.

Goodluck :)

...oh, and if you take up Joel's offer, you will, for a while, think you're a biking legend with it all sorted out... until the next morning that is?!! :LOL: :beer:

8. Good luck with that Peaches. I would love a mentor to ride with too but I need a bigger bike first!!! :) If only you were in country Vic we could ride together

9. Ruth, being only on L's myself I cannot offer to be a mentor but if you want to just go for a ride sometime let me know. My wife and son have just left today for 3 months in Europe so I actually have a couple of months when I can do what I want, when I want!! :)

Adam

10. Ahh the old, when the cats away the mice will play. :p

I have the feeling you will be fighting the old mentors off with a stick Ms peaches........good luck anyway,I'd like to be a mentor myself but wouldn't want you picking up my filthy habbits. :LOL:

11. I know I'm not local to you but as I said last night if you and your friends want to get together for a ride on a weekend I will be more than happy to help you out.

If it wasn't for the wonderful riders (gals & guys) from the Fiddler coffee meet who have helped me and are still helping me get through the great learning curves I wouldnt have attempted some of the rides I have done recently. So I figure it is time to give back to NR.

Just drop me a line if you are interested.

Hopefully you'll get a few more takers.
    Kim

12. Sure, but only if you come to me! :LOL:

13. I'll stick to servicing Peaches :wink:
    I'm of for the next 3 days if you want to go for a Putty run :grin:

14. Most things I learnt came from riding as much as possible with faster riders. (Tweet, Dan chee, yak, steve.)

A mentor that follows you can give you tips about your riding. Turning handle bars to lean, picking good lines etc.

I found the mentor that you have to chase far better. Seeing them 1 or two corners up ahead and trying to chase them down encourages you to go faster into corners.

Its a good and a bad thing. You don't want to be eating the guardrail, but if you don't find a way to push yourself, you don't learn.

15. Thanks guys, you’re all so sweet! :) Now to answer a few of your questions:

1. Yes, Jeff was/is my mentor but he lives in Silverwater and it’s just too much a hassle trying to tee up times for mentoring/ frequent rides. When Peaches was stationed at his garage, I could ride her a maximum 1 hour per week, on average. :? Now that I’ve got my own place, I’m hoping to ride her more often, with the help of another mentor closer to home or who’d be able to spend more time with me.

2. I AM looking into HART courses. :) . Had a chat with TheSav at the Monday night coffee meet and he said the same thing, work is a killer at the moment but I’m hoping to do one in a month or so!

3. Thanks all for the offer to meet up for rides, I’ll definitely be in touch to tee up times for more Netrider adventures. Unfortunately work often saps 11 – 12 hours a day from my week so rides for me require planning :( . HOWEVER while still on the topic of riding, I’m thinking of going on one tonight (8 pmish) to Palm Beach if the weather holds up! Never been there before so I’d probably get lost but it’s meant to be dry today – no rain!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

4. As for picking up bad habits or choosing the type of mentor… er… I don’t know what these bad habits are (unless they’re blatantly obvious like cutting other vehicles off etc) nor do I know what type of mentor would suit. I’d be grateful for any help anyone can render, really. :grin:

Ps - Tweet thank you so much for taking care of Peaches, she’s less jumpy now and her first gear is a lot smoother. I was hoping to meet you at Monday night’s coffee meet to buy you a coffee to say thanks! *Hugs*

16. no bogan drinking lessons then? :(

17. Haha one drink and I apparently turn violent, Joel. I'm one of those typical Asians (racist as that sounds) who can't hold their liqour. And trust me you don't want a swearing, scratching and chopstick-poking woman in your hands LOL.

18. Asian Glow? :LOL:

19. Worse :shock: I turn beetroot red and can get quite amorous, quite suddenly, and quite violent.

Trust me. Not a pretty sight.

20. except for the chopsticking part (and only because i have never witnessed such an event) that just sounds like par for the course :grin: