Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

pc problem

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ksystemz, Sep 8, 2008.

1. hey pc guys, need help i restarted my pc today and got this error.

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I do not have an XP cd for some reason, is there any other way to fix this?
  2. That's all it said ? No reference after the \system ?

Could be terminal, could not be. Restart it and hit F8 like mad till you come to a screen that has several options for how to start windows, choose safe mode and see if it boots up that way.

Also think about what you changed\updated\altered in the last 24hrs, could be related, getting into safe mode will at least let you uninstall\rollback the changes
  3. sorry, its xp pro sp2, i tried safe mode nothing seems to work
  4. Probably a boot issue. System32 is where it first looks - it can't find it.

Copy this into notepad:
    and save it as 'boot.ini' onto a floppy disk. Insert floppy disc, restart comp. Press a key if it prompts you to boot from floppy. Go through the list and try all the options.

Alternatively, get copy of xp cd and try repair.
  5. The most likely problem you got here is your registry, its become corrupt or missing for some reason... you could try hitting F8 and choose the restore from last successful boot up, but that may not work either.

You may have to obtain a CD and use that to do a "repair" of the system, which will get your system to a working state, but it may not be the 'same' again... :(

Upon saying that, I've OCCASSIONALLY had this and been able to recover with either a cold or a warm boot, but its not likely... and IF you do get any files you need, just in case :)
  6. time to format / reimage