Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

PC Help - RegCleaner 4.3

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MattyB, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Ok, mIRC Austnet is having alot of netsplits, and NR forums should be getting busy right about now, so I come to you for some help!

I'm trying to clear up some room/ram/harddrive space on my primary harddrive, i've installed numerous amounts of crap over the years, so it's time to do a spot of spring cleaning.

first off, i've got regcleaner 4.3, and i went through and cleared some of the registered software which i've deleted over the said years.

then i went to the next tab got rid of McAfee or whatever it's called, it was shitting me (anyone suggest a good virus protector which doesn't hog ram or annoy me on startup, which can be downloaded for free?)

Then the next tab, but heres the first problem..
    it's the uninstall tab, i selected a whole bunch of junk i don't need anymore, but the 'uninstall' button down the bottom right was greyed out (assuming because i ticked too many, and some couldn't be uninstalled) so i hit 'remove', but these didn't uninstall, they just were cleared from the list...
    I want them back on the list, so i can go through them individually and literally uninstall them!
    so i reinstalled regcleaner hoping it would re-fill the list, but it didn't.

what do i do?

Also, while i'm here, the 'file types' list say it SHOULD be safe to delete all the types listed as 'N/A', so should i? or is there a chance i'm deleting file types i'll need.

any help is appreciated
  2. its probably a trial version of reg cleaner and will only let you do so many (trying to get you to buy the full version). Cant recommend any free ones off the top of my head.

Antivirus software try AVG. http://free.grisoft.com seems pretty good to me. I use it at home and recommend it as a free one to anyone that asks. I've used it for a few years and haven't had any problems (although I'm savvy about not clicking on weird stuff etc.

Do a bit more of a google and you should be able to find a good free reg cleaner.
  3. agreed on that radness

regarding the software you removed, theres a few different ways. Easiest is to see if the software had a link to the uninstaller directly within its shortcuts in the menu. if it doesnt, you may be able to initiate an uninstall by running uninst.exe in the directory, however that may throw a wobbly if the uninstall info is removed.

If you want to take a punt and see if you can recreate it in the registery is to run regedit (remember you shold ONLY do this if your sure about wtf you are doing, NO doubts)

go to my computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    and create a key for the product you want to recreate (it becomes a "folder" on the left pane. Then create a new string value on the right pane called DisplayName and put in the text for the program name, then create another entry called UninstallString. This is where you throw the uninstall string. If there is a uninst.exe for that program, you put it in double quotes within there, such as
    for k-lite codecs (as an arbitrary example)

if there is a .isu file in the program directory, then put a string like
    which calls on the default windows installer to run with the uninst.isu as a information file on what to do.

then again if theres neither, sorry cant really help you, the program might have to be run with -uninstall such as mirc has to, etc..

Good luck, sounds a pain in the arse.

then again if you've already deleted the programs (i.e. the wrong way to go about it) then not a worry ;-).
  4. Ok here is what I do... (Total not techie type person here)

1. Backup all stuff you really want to keep.
    2. Nuke it, ie Format the shit out of it.
    3. Re-install and enjoy the new uncluttered you. :wink: