Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Paying the Price for Wearing Crappy Gear

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by ducatitrooper, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Everybody has their own opinion on what is the best riding gear.

I work in a major urban trauma centre and had the unhappy task recently of being involved with a young chap who had stacked his bike.

Sad for him, his choice of footwear was light pumps. He is probably going to loose his leg due to the severity of his foot injury or, if not, will certainly have a prolonged period of pain, immobility and repeat surgery.

He may not have avoided injury totally with decent foowear, but it might have made the difference betwen going home with a cast and crutches, compared to loosing a limb!

Choose your gear wisely, my friends.

• Agree Agree x 21
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. It pays to have the right gear, l'm amazed how often l see riders just with sneakers.
    Thanks for the insight.

3. It also may not have made any difference at all.

What I will say is that not falling off is the only real way to avoid injury.

MazaMaza you'd have a heart attack if you saw what I wear, or more precisely don't wear, around town in summer.

• Like Like x 2
  4. At your peril!

5. Don't get them started Mick. Next they'll be prosecuting riders for causing cardiovascular malfunctions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. You're right, it's at MY peril.

If after 19 years of riding motorcycles on the road I cannot ride 5km on quiet suburban streets at 50kmh (or less) without falling off I have no right to be riding a motorcycle. In fact in all honesty I am of the opinion that if after a couple of years of riding you cannot ride on quiet suburban streets at 50kmh (or less) without crashing you should seriously consider either doing more training or handing in your licence.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Too late......

8. True, I have to agree that protective gear is not a magic suit of elvan armour and sometimes ATGATT can be more of an issue in hot weather when you consider dehydration, core temperature management etc.

On the other hand, like everything we do on bikes, it is management of risk. It is a personal choice. I won't ride without boots but I do ride in jeans. Yes I know a slide would see me get leg injuries against the extra time leathers would but I make my choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. It's other road users l'd be worried about...not your own skills in that scenario.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. True, not to put words in Mick's mouth but I am sure he would say he manages the risk by being situationaly aware. Spot danger in advance, sure it's not foolproof but it improves your odds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I detest preachers preaching at me. I do my own thing and am not interested in someones religious beliefs. Although ATGAT is not a religion some try to preach it as if it was.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. True some do like to preach it but no-one in this thread has. The OP just noted the injury in this case as an example. We are all big boys and girls and can make our own choice. It should be an informed choice though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. It has only just begun, give it time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Took the words out of my mouth cjvfrcjvfr

You're right Maza, which is why I'm a great believer new riders learning 'road craft' and wearing the best, most comfortable gear they can afford. Know the road rules, but you should expect the other road users not to know the road rules or simply not care. Be prepared to break the road rules if it'll save your skin. There is absolutely no point being right when you're dead.

Oh and in NSW the majority of motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents - in other words the rider screwed up. Even so, short of a tree, piano or plane falling on you, the rider is (to some degree) at fault in ALL crashes. There is always something the rider could have done differently/better to avoid the crash.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. Horses for courses, if I am doing a Putty run i wear the gear. If I am going to the petrol station for fuel around the corner its T shirt and shorts

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mick I understand your sentiments, and the 'anti-compulsory' brigade, but this is Netrider, and whether we like it or not, new riders take note of what's said here. I think it's a bad look to even plant the thought that a few kays in singlet and shorts is ever a sensible option. You can do it, I can do it, and probably the majority of people here can do it, but the subject of the original post did it, and he'll pay the price for the rest of his life. I think we should all be taking a conservative position regarding protective gear, especially the senior riders here, whose opinions DO carry some weight.....

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  17. All these pussies that cant take a bit of gravel rash pain is the pussification of motorcyling.

Chicks dig scars.

Sorry Hornet.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. You obviously missed this post then

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. err, yes, I did.....

20. Interesting sorry.

I followed a guy today wearing shorts a t-shirt and an open face helmet. If he fell off at speed his injuries could of been catastrophic. But guess what. He didn't fall off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1