Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Passenger Exemption for P's

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by hazmat152, Mar 6, 2013.

  1. #1 hazmat152, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Hi guys,

    I've been reading the threads here for a couple of months now and just decided to make an account today to ask this question.

    I'm on my red P's at the moment (CBR250R) and I was wondering if I could apply for an exemption to carry a passenger. I ask this as my family is not in a financial position of owning a car and I have to transport my sibling between my two parents' houses (they are separated) which are about 2 hours apart by public transport. The houses are in Dural and St Ives. My mother who is the custodian of the child works long shifts and is also unable to drive. My father is probably munted in a cave. Taking into account these circumstances, are the RTA (RMS whatever) able to grant me an exemption to carry a pillion?

    Thanks for reading,

  2. I would say the best and only people to call and ask is the rta themselfs
  3. I would say most likely no. But I'm not the RTA.
  4. It sounds unlikely, but the rta would know more than anyone here.

    For what it is worth, if you don't get an exception, your chances of getting pulled over if your riding sensibly are incredibly low. However if you get caught your looking at a $496 fine and 3 demerits for the passenger and $232 and 2 points for not having your plates on. I also doubt you or your pillion would be covered by insurance if you had an accident. You would also have a small chance of getting off with a warning if you prepared a good tear jerker story for the cop.

    I would risk it once or twice but not every week.