Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Passed the new Victorian License Test

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by AndR3w, Apr 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. This morning I passed the new Victorian License test - totally stoked. No more fluro no more L plate.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Congratulations Andrew. There is not a lot of information around yet on the nature of the new testing. When you get a chance can you describe what is tested and how?

3. Congrats! Well done!

4. Excellent work AndR3wAndR3w (very clever username btw)! Congratulations (y)! Awesome feeling to lose the dreaded Hi-Viz and a yellow "looser" plate :woot::smug:
    I too would appreciate it if you wrote about your experience and gave some insight into what this new test is about from a learner perspective. Will be invaluable to those who are still to go through it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Congratulations on your achievement AndR3w. So what's the idea behind "L" riders having to wear a HI-Viz jacket ?

6. well done AndR3w

7. Well done (y)(y)

8. It is a Victoria Learner requirement.

9. Pure GOLD! I found my morning and night "prayer", thank you chilliman64chilliman64 (y)!

10. Nice work! I've got the "Check ride" tomorrow and the license test on the 01/05.

11. #12 AndR3w, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    I did the test through Motorcycle Motion in Cheltenham. It was conducted over two days which I did over this weekend, but you don't have to - they can be split up. I did my learners there too, but under the old scheme so I cannot comment on the changes to get your L's.

Day 1. Check Ride
    First thing to note is that I used my own bike rather than the CB125's provided which suited me fine. First thing is a check of your bike - indicators, brake lights, horn - just a basic check over.

On range assessment comes next. Essentially they're checking to see you can ride a motorcycle before they let you out on the road, so it does form part of the assessment (more on that later). I had to ride laps around a marked course staying within the lines at about 25kph. You have to show you can steer an effective line through a corner, moving from wide to tight. At one point you have to flick the bike left/right in order to pass at right angles over a set of painted "tram tracks" . It's pretty straight forward. Next is the quick stop. Ride around the course and hit the brakes when you reach the red line stopping within a few meters. You don't have to react to a hand signal from the assessor like I did when I did my learners.

Final on range part is a simple ride around the marked course and stop with your front wheel in a marked box and the slow ride, where from a standing start you have to ride a prescribed distance at a slow walking pace completing the distance in at least 10 seconds followed by a lap of the range. The group is split up and does the last two assessment at the same time and the course layout requires you to give way and merge. No biggie.

Overall - it was harder than the assessment to get your learners under the old scheme, but its not massively difficult.

Now the main course - The Check Ride.

The Check Ride is not formally part of the test and there's no pass or fail. It can be abandoned if you do something super dumb or unsafe. Since I did my L's under the old scheme the check ride is not mandatory, but there is no way in hell I would have passed the test without doing the check ride first. I think for people starting out now the check ride is mandatory. You won't pass without it.

The ride was about 35Km and is broken into 6 segments. The first segment is lead out by the assessor and the students follow at a safe distance. The remaining sections are lead by out by each student in turn, but since I was in a group of two we just took turns.

At each stop you get off and discuss the result - what we did right and wrong - and crucially what the examiner is looking for. Then they give you road directions to complete the next segment and off you go. Leaving aside the basics like following the road rules and operating your bike competently the emphasis is on lane position which they refer to as "buffering", scanning the road for hazards or potential hazards and almost constant head checks left and right. They're really hot on it and you have to exaggerate the head movement so it's obvious you're doing it. You have to check down every side street you pass, dab the brakes if there's anything remotely hazardous within the next 300 metres and weave in the lane depending on whether there is any oncoming traffic or people over taking you. You have to position yourself on the road to maximise the safety buffer around you keeping as far away as possible from all other road users. I cannot stress how pedantic they are. I was pulled up for getting on my bike the wrong way because I didn't head check left and right and have the front brake on as I threw my leg over. In short, my normal riding style would have resulted in an instant fail. My neck hurt from all the head checks. We got lots of feedback but for me more head checks more buffering and flashing my brake light was the advice.

At this point I can say that this is officially the longest essay I've written since Uni.. But pressing on...

Day 2 - The Assessment
    I turned up on day 2 expecting to do the on range assessment again, but because I'd gone OK the day before I was told I didn't have to. I don't know if that's the official line and I suspect that you're supposed to do the on range bit again. Don't quote me. The assessment ride itself is as per the check ride except you only take a part of the distance. We covered about 12Km. Once again you stop off a couple of times breaking the ride into three segments. This time they ask you how you went but provide no coaching or feedback until the end. I just kept repeating "head check and buffer" to myself over and over. My head going left and right like I was watching tennis and I dabbed the rear brake in response to anything. Never just roll off - dab the brake so its obvious you're slowing in response to the ute in the side street 250m up the road.

Once you're done you get the result (I passed) and they provide some feedback on any mistakes you made and general observations.

So thats its.. I'm done. No P plates for me because I've got a full driving license, but LAMS bikes only for three years so the R1 will have to wait. But crucially I'm out of the fluorescent yellow which I loved wearing so much - said nobody ever.

• Informative Informative x 19
    • Like Like x 8
  12. Done.. See below

13. should be the bike riders anthem

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. In my long essay I said "I'm done". What I mean is that I'm done with the formal bit of my motorcycling education. As those longer in the saddle than me know well, the real education starts now.

As someone once said "never let schooling get in the way of a good education".

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Congratulations and a big thank you for the write-up.
    It will help a lot of people following in your footsteps, having some idea of what to expect.

See you at Sat practice?

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Just as an expansion for the new Learners test, it's the same as day 1 but with a much smaller road ride segment. The road ride was about an hour in residential streets with learners taking in turns leading but a stop after each learner to discuss what happened.

Failing the head check counts as a safety item and you forget 4 times and you fail.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Having just done the new Learner's test in Victoria, I second that.

The on-range assessment is exactly the same (confirmed by the instructor) as was explained above. There is just an additional section for learners that involves walking and parking the bike (don't forget the headcheck), but the rest is identical.

Looking at my Learner's assessment sheet, there are only a few critical "fail errors" that will lead to a failed test instantly:

- Failing to stop within the required distance for the simulated emergency break
    - Falling or dropping the bike
    - Failing to follow instructions (disregarding instructor)
    - Taking less than 6 seconds for the 15m "slow ride"
    - Stalling the engine more than 3 times

A "normal" safety error (such as crossing a line you shouldn't cross or missing a headcheck) does not automatically lead to a failed test. I committed one and still passed.

Not sure if the above is stricter for the actual license test, but this is what applies to the Learner's test.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Congratulations. However before being too quick to say no more fluro, you should know that certain people believe that once you remove your fluro the statistics that you'll be hit by a car go through the roof.

However, there are others who say if you do not burn your fluro after passing your test in a ceremonial fashion and continue to wear it, you jinx yourself and will be hit by a car...

And then there's those who say if you put your right glove on first...

Mate... not sure what to say. Seems like the test was the easy part... the real test - the decisions of fluro or not, and which glove first as a full rider await you. And for heavens sake, don't even think about nodding until you have the other stuff sorted. I wish you luck. ;)

Seriously though - congrats - it's great to have those L's behind you! (Not literally but figuratively)

19. Awesome mate, well done. Out of interest, how long had you had your learners, and how much practice do you reckon you got before doing the course?