Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Passed my P's

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ralph, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Yes yet another post about passing a P's test.

I was a little unsure how I would go. Stoked that it went well. Only points were for not doing a headcheck when moving off.

I did it at Stay Upright Rouse Hill. Instructor was a nice guy, but chatted way too much. Had I failed I would have been p!ssed that we didnt get more practice in. He spent roughly 75% of the time talking to us, often about random stuff irrelevant to the riding. I thought the P's course was supposed to be more practical.

I passed and went straight to the RTA to get the license updated.. good bye l's.. hello P's...

GF is stoked, 12 months till she can get on the back.

Oh this one guy that showed up. OMFG.. i feared for my saftey when he was behind me on the practice range. He was on a virgo and had limited control of the bloody thing. We started with the cone weave. He ploughed straight over them. He was going to slow and was about to drop the bike, pops the clutch. bike takes off, he heads straight for the barrier. legs every witch way as he was riding. couldnt do the uturn just went straight on, Scarey thing, the instructor told him he couldnt complete the course, and then he rode home! a danger to himself!!!
  2. Well done.

As for the rider who failed, you'll find them at any P test.

Here in Canberra, on the last Saturday of each month, you can go to a open morning and do a pretend test. The instructors then give you a sheet of paper showing what you should practice. It also helps that the test is marked on several car parks around town and for the majority of the time, they are empty.

When I did my P's, the instructor pointed out a burn out mark on the dirt and said that a rider failed and wasn't too happy about it. Exited the testing grounds, gave it a fistful and took off. Silly tool will have a hard time when they rock up to do the test again. They take note of your details when you book the test and have your license number.
  3. There weren't any riders at my P-plate test that shouldn't have been there. We all passed. The lowest score was awarded to a 40yr bloke who was stable and confident but just not willing to push as hard in the counter-steering tests as the rest of us. The impression I got from the P-plate test was that 95% of the work was done by the rider over the previous 3 months on the road, the lesson before the test was just polishing.

On the L-plate test however one person was told half way through that given their lack of confidence and handling skills, they would need much more practice before taking the test. Later in the day, following the test, I saw a couple of other people redoing the test after having failed a previous day.

I am wondering whether there is any correlation between experience and confidence on a bicycle and ability to take a 'crash course' (i.e. learner lesson and test) on a motorcycle. My friend and I, having spent well over a decade riding bicycles as fast as we could pedal them, took like ducks to water on the CB250s and were continuously told off for hitting 40+ kph and taking turns too close to the cyclone fences. But the person who was politely told to come back another day looked like they probably didn't learn all that they could have from a $100 Malvern Star.

Anyways, congrats to you Ralph, and here's to hoping you continue to learn heaps during the next twelve months so you can take a pillion or ride a high-powered motorcycle with confidence. ;)

4. Congratulations!
  5. Goodonya mate. I know what you mean regarding that other rider. Don't want to embaress anyone too much in case they're a netrider, but one guy didn't show any evidence of having ridden a bike before. He was scary. He ended up swapping his bike for a rental and dropped it on the emergency stop.
    Another guy was doing a retest. Turned up on a non-LAMS bike and was forced to hire one. Failed for the second time. The rest of the guys seemed like they had done some practice. It's hard to believe that some of these guys turn up and don't even know what the test involves.
  6. i think the biggest problem with the test is the focus and confidence issue. i passed on the first attempt, but i felt no where near as smooth as i had previously done in my own practice. i overcooked the entry speed and did a little stoppie on the emergency braking which i hadnt done before in practice but come out fine. another guy in my group nearly went flying on the swerve test, his front wheel looked like it slipped or jumped a bit and totally upset the whole scooter.

in an emergency situation youre acting totally on practiced technique instinctively, but in the test your very conscious of what youre doing and you know you cant stuff it up. thats the biggest problem.

but yes, there are tons of people who turn up without practicing.
  7. I agree with you there gsxxer. I was far from slick during my test and I'd done plenty of preparation. It's nerve wracking.
  8. Congrats on passing, now begins the painful count down till you can get a bigger bike :)
  9. Yeh nerves for me too. I got through the nerves by so much practice that i'd didn't have a choice but to pass.

I think i spent a good 4 hours straight one night practicing the bloody U-turn....

and today on my current bike i doubt i can pull off the manouvre :LOL: