Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Passed my Pre-learners Course Today

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Flicka, Mar 17, 2015.

1. After passing the pre-learners course today, I went to the registry office and sat the knowledge test. Passed and got my L plates.

I am hoping to pick up my bike tomorrow. I won't be riding the bike home if it is ready. I've got a friend who has a license to bring it home for me. I wouldn't be confident enough to just get my L's then ride through Fyshwick on a bike I've never been on before.

Sad part is tomorrow is the last day of my holidays. Good part is I only work three days this week so I should be able to ride my bike on Sunday.

Now I can start to relax and get confident at my own pace. I intend to practice in deserted car parks for a few weeks, then I'll venture around the quiet streets near my place.

Now that I have my L's, I'm not in a hurry to jump into the morning traffic. I will do that when I feel confident enough not to be a nuisance to other road users or a danger to myself.

nugan, thanks for the tip about boots with a heel. I will buy a pair tomorrow if I have time.

oldcorollas, you mentioned I can lower the seat by winding out the rear preload. I wouldn't do that. I don't know enough about bikes to start doing things like that. If I find the seat is to high, I will take the riding tips from some of the girls who have given me advice in this forum. Thanks Girls! If the girls tips don't help me, I will see about having the seat lowered by a professional.

iClint, you picked it right about the indicators. I remembered to turn them on, but I mostly forgot to turn the indicator off until I was 3/4 of the way up the straight. Practice, practice, practice.

CrazyCam, you talked about how my dirt bike experience is nothing like riding a real road bike. I can tell you after my course I feel like a complete novice. The way I ride a dirt bike is nothing like the way I rode over the last two days at the course. At times over the last two days I felt like I'd never been on a bike before. At other times (not many) I started to feel comfortable and 'this is fun'. Then I'd do something dumb and felt like I'd never been on a bike before.

Flicka

• Like Like x 4
  2. Great write up.
    Well done you for passing today and for picking up on so much so quickly.
    Best of luck with getting out there.
    Take it easy.

3. Well done, I think having dirt bike experience is very valuable for riding on the road. One day when u hit a slippery patch and the back steps out you will just be having fun whereas I myself flamin crapped my pants the first time that happened, actually I do that every time it happens.

4. congratulations flicka :] well done take time & you will be fine

5. Well done flicka, welcome to the "Brotherhood",,,,,,,

6. Congratulations

7. Congratulations FlickaFlicka your description of the lack of confidence is totally normal and great to see you taking a common sense approach, slowly slowly and you'll be fine and your confidence and enjoyment will grow along with the smile on your face.:playful: (y)

8. Congrats on getting your L's..

Get used to the controls on your bike to the point you don't have to look at them to use them. Looking for things like the indicator controls means you're not focused on what's ahead of you.

One of the big things i had to get used to was my gloves pressing the horn at the same time i tried to indicate.
    I cannot remember how many "Oi are you tooting at me" looks i got but it was quite a few :)

All the best with your practice.

Cheers
    Juz

• Like Like x 1
  9. Congrats for passing... I'm going for my learner's course next week.

10. Thanks. I got the bike yesterday afternoon at 6:30. Won't get my first chance to ride it until Sunday because I'm working everyday. :(

11. I'm sure I will have the same reaction as you if the back steps out because I'll be thinking if I fall a car is going to run over me. I think it will take me a while to get confident on the road.

12. Thank you Jeffco. I am hoping I don't have to many frights in traffic before I get comfortable and confident.

13. Thank you! So I'm an honorary bro hah? I like it! But I'm actually part of the sisterhood. :)

14. Thank you Andrew. I am looking forward to when I am confident so I can enjoy my riding. :)

15. LOL I hope that doesn't happen to me but it probably will. I have to get used to doing things with gloves on. I've never had to use indicators before and at the pre-learners course, I felt very clumsy pushing a little button with what felt like a glove that was 3 feet thick.

16. Thanks and good luck with the course. I'm sure you'll do fine. Let us know how to do.

17. Such a wonderful feeling having that option of being able to ride a bike on the road. First of all, congrats we need more female riders on the road.

I got my Open RE licence approx 4 weeks ago, I wasn't planning to but decided to get one because it was the cheapest option in regards to purchasing a second vehicle. I've had my drivers licence for 15 yr's, I should have went for my motorbike licence years ago.

It took me about 4 days to obtain my licence and ride home with a motorbike straight after passing my assessment. The first 2 days, I was researching what is the best learner legal bike for a short rider and courses to go on to help me get my licence in a short period of time, in addition, I had to get my learners before anything else. Did the practice test on line on went in to TMR and sat in to do the test and passed.

The last two day was the Q-Ride, it was a learn how to ride followed by the Open RE licence test packaged. I too, struggled on remembering to turn off the indicators. I have never been on a two wheeled vehicle with a motor in it, so I was pumped full of adrenalin with a mixed feeling of 'WTF I am so scared'. Brisbane had light showers the day during the assessment, after successfully completing the test it started bucketing down (cyclone Marcia due north of Brisbane). I was thrown in the deep end the day I was riding my 2015 30th Anniversary Kawasaki Ninja 300, this is because it was mixed with Brisbane peak hour traffic/ on the main highway/ getting dark/ pissing down rain.

Riding in the rain for the very first time on a motorbike doing 100 km/hr changing lane is pretty scary.

The last 3 weeks or so I've going up and down Mt Glorious, like you and others said... practice/ practice/ practice is the only way to build confidence. I started lane filtering/ splitting this week and now I know why other road users (drivers) gets pissed off.

My only advice to you, it's probably not a useful one because I'm a noob. When you go for your assessment pick the instructors brains ask heaps of questions because that's what I did and learnt heaps. Every time you get on a bike have no doubts/ fear of making a mistake, tell yourself 'every time I make a mistake I will learn from it'. Always wear protective clothing, signal early and do not tail gate, you need to increase your distance between the car in front of you and your bike. Practice and have fun.

That is all for now.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FlickaFlicka congrats and welcome to the sisterhood. I read some of the original postings, and wanted to say that as a shorty rider myself, the CB300 is a great choice, but I was away and only had my phone which I can't stand typing on. But you have one inch over me and I can't ride it....yet.... My son has a CB300 who commutes on it from country to CBD and he loves it to bits even on the free way. I'm sure you will too. :happy:

19. You'll be fine. Just start off in an empty car park and small streets so you can get used to the whole experience and your bike.

I haven't even got my learner's yet. But that's how I started off driving cars.

So practice in empty-ish areas. At least then you can start off in an environment where you CAN control your surroundings as opposed to who knows what on the real road.

Good luck.

20. Congratulations, Flicka,. You are so sensible. Do the thinking for two -you and the other at times VERY creative traffic participants - and you'll be just fine.
    Continue to enjoy the ride, girl!