Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Passed my L's!..but I tend to drop my bike..?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Mia, Oct 11, 2010.

1. M'kay. So I've had a few very nerve wracking and painful days at HART in Somerton, but thankfully, have passed my L's after initially failing :D

Problem is, I found that when coming to a stop or even when I was completely stationary, I had this tendency to uh... drop my bike (thank you sooooooo much Justin, Marty and Mike @ HART btw for having the patience of saints!). I'd roll to a stop, put my left foot down, then try for my right, lose balance and oomph... "Maria, have you met the ground? No? Here, let's introduce you!" On one near miss I was just standing and waiting for my turn around the course when a gust of wind had me wobbling in my seat and nearly ass over t!ts again.

Is it just me, or do other people have the same problem? I usually have excellent balance (20+ squats holding a medicine ball over my head whilst balancing on a balance ball ffs) but found that on more than a few occassions the bike got the better of me :oops: The stacks were so demoralising I'm starting to think that I have to re-think the whole bike thing...

I'm 5ft and 47kgs, but given there are lots of female riders (and even kids) who seem to be able to control their trusty steeds, is it just me??

2. Can you touch the ground with both feet fully on the ground? if not im guessing the bike is to high for you

3. Congratulations Mia. Don't give up whatever you do. You just have to find something you are comfortable on. Same thing happened to my daughter when she was doing her L's...she has now found herself most comfortable on a Ninja 250.

Sit on as many bikes as you can and get a feel for it. Better still, ride them.

4. No its not you,
    You are obviously trying to stop and your bike is not in a straight line, over you go,

When you are stopping, keep the bike in a dead straight line,

If you are going to turn left or right, do so after you have stopped,

Taking off from a stop, then turn in the direction you want to go,

Do not attempt to turn before you are stopped, it will throw you side ways and over you will go.

Hope this helps,

You are learning some thing new and it takes time to get the feel of things,

Enjoy your Bike and relax on it, It will get easier as you progress, things will become automatic for you.
    Cheers,
    Brian,

5. . The bike you were riding might be too tall for you, or the ground might have been on a slope, your front wheel might have been turned inwards, lots of reasons, especially as a learner. I know you'll overcome that little issue soon, and will be riding confidently in next to no time.

6. I was very similar on an XR250 trail bike which was way too big for me.. I think I dropped it 3 or 4 times in about as many days....

Can you comfortably put both feet down on the ground?

Also, make 100% sure you aren't hitting the front brake with the front wheel turned, it will tip the bike over.

7. I have found using the back brake only when going slow or after having slowed right down for an intersection release the front and use the back to complete the stop to be much smoother.

8. Hmmhmm much as i dislike to admit it, learning my new XR250 gave me much the same problem.

The bike was a TOUCH too high for me.. having to stand on tippy-toes to reach the ground would overbalance me and *crunch!*

Dropped the rear suspension an inch, and it seems to be much better! I'm able to be flatfooted on the ground @ level.

Make sure you have a bike that is the right size for you. I would go by the measurement, if you can sit on the bike, with your feet flat on the ground, for a upright position, or if you can get your feet flat on level ground, while still being able to reach out to the steering, on a forward facing bike, that is correct.

It sounds like you were trying to ride a bike much too large for you and you didn't have the ability to get your feet on the ground when stopping. This can absolutely DESTROY confidence, and quite frankly scares the S*** outta me when I'm on my mates big bike.

Don't give up! Get a smaller bike, give it a test, get confidence for something you can LIFT to upright (accidents happen). Something you can ride comfortably. Don't give up, you'll get your perfect fitting bike soon enough.

--

I agree about the 250Ninja, I was looking at one, perfect fit for my 5'10, the CBR125 was way too small for me, too bunched up and low to the ground.

9. sounds like you're retarded

10. um you only need one foot down. can get a cheek off the seat to get a bit more reach on that side.

11. Thanks for all the tips guys :)

Standing on the bike whether it was on one foot or two, I could touch the ground on the very tips of my toes. Brian; you're right:

Looking back on a few occassions I definitely didn't have the handles straight whilst stopping, so I will be more mindful of that in future. However, I was only using the rear brake to do my slow stops. Ametha, I wish I could say the ground we were on was on a slope, but nup, it was perfectly level.

I'll just have to sit on and try a lot of bikes now I guess. Gotta get past the mental block that tells me my confidence is shot though...

And Monkeyman- seriously?? That's just unecessary.

12. Sounds like you need more practise..

13. For the short term use both feet when you come to rest.Its inner thigh strength and the ability to flatfoot when stopped that will keep your bike upright.Learning the bike's balance point will help too...You know that sideways angle of the dangle before you get to that...''and down she goes'' crunch moments.
    Use more rear brake if you are traveling slowly..like almost fully stopped or walking pace.
    Don't use the front brake at slow speed with large amounts of turn on the handlebars,the bike will try to tip in...'and down she goes'.
    This is the beauty of riding over driving,it takes a lot more skill,learning that skill can take time.
    Operating a clutch,two separate braking systems,balancing on two wheels,counteracting momentum and the weight of the bike, all while keeping situational awareness of the traffic,planning ahead and looking cool, takes practice and some time .
    Keep that in mind when you next fling your leg over your bike.
    Oh and look down at the ground and say "Stay down there!" before moving off , it sucks when it bangs into you.

14. Follow deadman's advice, Mia. Keep it straight and find a bike that sits low that you feel comfortable with. Stick with it. And practise, practise, practise. Oh, and enjoy!
    Congrats on getting your Ls too.