Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

parts ordering

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by ibast, Mar 17, 2006.

1. I recently ordered some parts though a dealer.

The requirement was that I pay the full amount up front, even though they couldn't make any promises about how long the parts would take.

I was wondering how common it was in the industry to request full upfront payment.

Who else has struck this?

As far as I was aware, the most they legally get was a 10% deposit. I'm thinking of making some phone calls about it.

2. Internet purchases usually require 100% up front, I don't think there's any law that says thaey have to accept a deposit.

But as always, buyer beware... if they aren't prepared to offer any guarantees, then it smells a bit off to me.

JJ

3. I work for a bike shop and our policy is 20% deposit. I don't think pay up front is the norm. I would certainly want confirmation that the parts weren't going to be back ordered for weeks and weeks.

4. Yep, where I work we sometimes ask for a deposit if it is not a regular customer. Some of the manufacturers won't take returns and the shop can be lumped with some part that may or may not sell.

5. 100% deposit up front...

*banks money... but doesn't order*...

month later.. "sorry, our supplier is having difficulty getting parts..

"i want my money back"

"ok... " *walks away with a profit*

keep doing that and you're a bank!

6. Internet is understandable. Once you've payed, they should be looking at shipping, so you've bought it.

When buying manufacturers parts it's a bit didgy to pay the full amount I think.

7. mate best off just look for it elsewhere...
    i dont like paying and not knowing when my stuff will arrive..
    with the exception of ebay of course