Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Part numbers for '88 CBR250R

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by boosted2000, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Hi all,

I have an '88 CBR250R and am in the process of servicing it.

Couple of questions someone may be able to answer:

1. Can someone tell me the part number for the air filter cartridge and the best place to get it, I know from buying the spark plugs you can get ripped off majorly if you don't shop around, I ordered the plugs in from a bike shop at $60 for a set of 4 (NGK's), thought I might make a couple of calls and ended up with the same plugs from Repco for $3 each, If I know the part number for the air filter I may be able to do the same thing.

2. Same for fuel filter, should I buy a 'standard' Ryco fuel filter or does the bike use a specific part number, and where can I source it.

3. Synthetic oil - the guy at the bike shop recommended the Motul 5100 fully synthetic oil, no doubt it's good stuff but I recall reading somewhere not to use fully synthetic in the CBR250's, can't remember the reason but any suggestions??

2. 1. Not sure on the type of air filter so i think it's off to Honda for that one.

2. A fuel filter is a fuel filter - the bigger the better IMO. A stock Honda replacement shouldn't be more than about $10 so perhaps just to keep things stock and happy, another thing on the list whilst your at Honda.

3. Motul 5100 user here... and very happy with it. Actually, it's time for another service now and i'll be getting another lot of the 5100; that's the fourth time i've run it through. I get an effective ~5000km life out of the stuff, and i change it usually at about 4500km's. There are cheaper oils out there definitely... but id rather spend the extra $10 on a new filter, and an extra $10 on better oil than have 'issues'.
  3. Sure the plugs were exactly the same? It's just that I know the NGK plugs in my bike are available in a "standard" form for a couple of bucks or in platinum for around $15 each - part code is virtually identical, think the platinums just have an "x" added to the end of the code. 60 bucks seems right for a set of platinums, but if they were asking that much for standard plugs then I reckon it would be a good idea to look elsewhere for parts.
  4. Valid point about the platinum's, although I quoted him the part number for the standards and as far as I knew that is what he was ordering in, I only know how much he was going to charge me as he already had the invoice written out when I picked up the oil/oil filter/coolant etc. and when I told him I had sourced the plugs already he crossed them off. Assuming they were the same that is a $50 difference for the same item :shock: