Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Parking your bike on a hill and riding in windy conditions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by antkleve, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Hi All,

A relative noob here, been riding for a week. Just have a couple of questions;

What is the best way to park your bike on a hill to prevent it from falling over.

Riding in windy weather. Any techniques or experience you may want to share

Looking foward to hearing some good tips.

2. I think if parking on a hill it's a good idea to park it in gear. Apart from that, I have no idea...

When riding in windy weather (and really any other time) try to keep your arms relaxed, it helps you "absorb" the wind gusts.
  3. parking on a hill, park front down in gear
    sideways it'll fall
    backways it'll fall

i think
  4. Yeah park in gear and just remember year ten physics.

As for wind (like today) the gusts can catch you unaware, I try to not take the most outside line to allow the wind to blow me a little. Try to anticipate the wind once, for example when you go behind a building or row of trees.
  5. Tailus: Why would it fall if parked backwards?
  6. Actually I'd be more inclined to park back facing down hill, that way if it gets knocked backwards the side stand isn't going to fold up. *shrugs*
  7. ^that's kinda what i was thinking, but I tried it all ways on my driveway and found it was most stable facing down the hill. Facing up the hill the front wants to roll out and fall or something like that? Someone go and check this out, you've got me thinking about my convictions now....
  8. being that the side stand kicks forward.. if you faced it down the hill it would be more likely to be weaker as the weight of the bike would be going with the direction of the hinge.. i tend to face the bike up the hill when i park.. turn the bar as much as i can and leave it in first.

wind: ive unfortunatly had a fair emount of experience in these sort of conditions.. i dont know if im technically correct.. but ive found relaxing.. moving my weight forward over the bike a bit (not sitting on the tank.. but leaning a bit more) backing off the speed (in heavy winds) and relaxing so you can lean a little into the wind as needed to keep a straight line, but you dont get cauht out when the wind suddenly dies.
  9. On a hill, park with the front wheel facing up hill so it can't roll of the side stand. Leaving it in gear helps too.

When riding in a cross wind the effect can be minimised by sticking out your knee on the side the wind is comming from. This works because the resistance on the knee from wind as the bike moves fowards pulls the bike to that side, neutralising the effect of the cross wind pushing the bike the other way. Make sure you stay relaxed at the same time and don't let the movement of the bike get you nervous. Just readjust your position when you get pushed off course and compenate by riding further over in the lane if you need to. If worst comes to worse you can always slow down and settle the bike that way.
  10. Hi antkleve .
    Im pretty much in the same boat as you, age ,bike ,and doing my best to master the bascis ,with a big yellow L plate on the back .
    I don't think suzuki spent much time and money on areo dynamics for the bike and it's a handfull the first few rides in the wind.
    You would know the anzac bridge ,i rode over it the first time with about 150km of riding time on my bike ,i looked up to see the flags on the bridge getting full wind ,so i got ready for the cross wind {worst thing to do} tensted up and got blown all over the place ,so i tucked up like a bike racer and got over the bridge easyer.
    Next time i went over the bridge at 500km of rideing time on my bike and the same winds ,after reading to
    .... stay relaxed {upper body }and hold on with your legs ,it was easy as .
    Just this little bit of advice ,helped sooo much.
    I don't know if it's all bikes ,but mine was getting blown around from trucks to ,do the same thing relax and stay in the left wheel track in the left lane ,i do the M5 and semi trialers going past me at 110kph ,don't worry me "as much".

With parking ,the bike parking areas i have seen ,that are on a hill ,the bikes are all faceing up hill.

11. Park with the bike in gear, preferably with the sidestand side downhill.

As for windy riding, relax (as you should do at all times). Anytime you ride tense you are being counterproductive to the independence of the front and rear suspension working independently.
  12. it is good to get in the habit of pulling up in first and whilst holding the clutch in, and put your stand down, then the bike will cut out, providing your side stand switch is working, then turn off the key. its just a good habit so it wont roll away, and all that seany said too.. thanks seany, i didnt have to write too much.. :grin: :grin:
  13. Sleddog, with the GS500F I am finding it pretty easy to get the hang of, but riding along Wentworth Rd at Mascot this afternoon at about 80 k's it did feel quite unnerving. Went out again this afternoon and tried the relaxing technique and it felt much better.

Makes sense to park the bike facing uphill with the sidestand pointing toward the bottom of the hill. Will have to try this.

How are you finding your GS500F now that you have a few miles under you belt? I am having trouble getting used to making smooth gear changes, but apart from that, I am really enjoying the bike, particularly the torque of the engine and its grunt at picking up from a low speed
  14. I have only done 900km ,so im not that far head of you in newbie skills or riding time.

Cheek out www.gstwin.com

It's a GS forum and you will get heaps of info on the bike.{say hello in the OZI section}

Like ....It's a normal thing for the {GS} not to be able to get it in to neutral "easy" ,after you have stoped if your having that trouble .
    And you can put thicker oil in the forks ,if the fronts to soft.. ect.

I have figure out my rev range to change gear, up or down ,with out being thrown over the bars or of the back ,took about 400km of ridng around the block and down the road.
    When i reached the 500km mark ,i "sort" of had a much better understanding of the bike and done the ride down the new coast road ,come home HEAPS more confident.

Yeah, im happy with the speed and easy to ride bike ,took abit to get used the how heavy the bike is ,but getting easyer every ride.
    There is a few sydney riders and a few newbies like me and you on this forum and i hope to do a ride with them soon.
    Just got to get the first sevice done this week hopefully, Then VROOM VROOM ,well.! .....more like PUTT PUTT .

Cheers and beers

OH! and what colour did you get ,i was at the dealer for 2 extra hours ,i couldn't deside ,as newbies the colour is most important.
    Black looks tuffer .
  15. All these reminders to park in gear surprised me... it's a no brainer, you shouldn't park with the bike out of gear! :!: :!:

By the way - the tip about the side stand kill switch is a gold one. Test it every so often at the very least. :idea: :!: :!: :!:

re Hill Parking: Ideally front pointing uphill and the whole bike pointing to the left of the slope - reinforces the weight of the bike onto the side stand. Harder to move, less likely to fall etc. Just be wary of getting on and taking off... could get a bit tricky if you haven't fully come to grips with clutch-throttle-brakes coordination.

X-winds... grin a bare it! Go with the flow, slow down if getting buffetted more than you can tolerate. Hunker down on the bike will make you feel better too - stops you acting as a "sail". Don't strong arm the bike - let it move and make gentlish corrections.

16. Hi Sleddog,

Yeah, I will be in a ride with the noobies. I have a blue one. Check your PM and you will know the full story. What price did you pick your's up for?
  17. Sleddog, that is an interesting name.

May I ask why you call yourself that?
  18. I had a siberian husky.sleddog.
    And the first forum i joined years ago ,was for my other sport, Jetskiing ,and skis are also nic named Sleds ,so it sort of worked.
    I see your in camden i went to camden high ,for about 2 months ,a long time ago.

---antkleve i didn't get your Pm ,check yours.
  19. The only reason I ask is because I have 11 sleddogs and race a 6 dog team.
  20. 11 Bloody hell ,1 was a handfull .