Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Parking on Footpath: How do you do it?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dbrain, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Hey all,

I've been riding about 6 months, but never really had the need to park on a footpath.
    I'll soon be commuting to the city (Melbourne), and I'm a bit nervous about jumping on the footpath for the first time. Especially in the city with the amount of foot traffic that is usually around.

How do you guys do it? Where do you get on the footpath, nearest pedestrian crossing or something? How do you get off the footpath when leaving, down the gutter or back down the pedestrian crossing?
    Do people tend to move out of the way? How do you indicate to them that you're going up to park?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched but mostly found discussions on the practice rather than a "how to".

2. Slowly & carefully, just like you do on the road

as for gutters or not it depends on the situation is there a driveway / pedestrian access nearby.
  3. I have no problem mounting the kerb, slow and steady with a touch of throttle and clutch control, easy.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. I use pedestrian crossing/driveway when I can. Usually use google maps street view to find good spots.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The guidelines say that you should dismount and push the bike onto the footpath, but no one does this. I can't tell if it's law or just a request though. The basic rule is that pedestrians always have right of way - never make anyone feel that they're at risk of being hit. We don't want people complaining to the council or government who might get it into their heads that it's dangerous and should be stopped.

I generally indicate if I'm pulling up on to the gutter, just as if I was entering a driveway. If there's one of those ramps close I'll ride up it at about a slow walking pace, but if there isn't one close and there's room I may ride up the kerb. Stay half a metre away from the kerb, a metre away from buildings and make sure you're not on top of or too near to any pits or access points (drain covers, Telstra pits, etc.). Perpendicular to the road if it's a really wide footpath, or parallel if it's a bit narrower.

When leaving I'm slightly more likely to just go down the gutter if there's room between the parked cars, but sometimes I waddle it over to the ramp if feels safer.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ride up on to it like a maniac and now everyone down.
    I usually go to the lights or a driveway etc. if the gutter is low enough it's ok to mount it. I've had those moments where there are a shitload of bikes on the pavement on one side and there will be me on the other on my own looking around for a sign that says no standing or whatever. Just make sure not to park too close to buildings and always be ready to have a comeback when the usual old cranky fcuker tries to tell you off.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Hey mate,
    Each time will be a little different depending on how many people around etc.
    Best bet is to go up the nearest pedestrian ramp.
    lots to choose from In the city. Make sure you have both feet down for stability and ready for anything as pedestrians sometimes do strange things.
    Go slow and give your bike a bit of a rev with the clutch in as your moving so people are aware your coming up.
    Make sure you park it out of the way as much as possible and I also like having it lean in towards the building/pole or solid object it's near as it will take up less space and your less likely to have someone knock it over accidentally or on purpose due to it taking up more room than required.
    Leaving is the same in reverse. Only if it's really busy sometimes it's just easier to go down the gutter.
    Just go slow so it doesn't bottom out.
    You can go up the gutter when you arrive but unless there's no other option I prefer to go up a ramp.
  8. I usually ride up the pedestrian crossing or driveway to get on the kerb and just roll slowly into the gutter when coming off it. Depending on traffic and the height of the kerb, I may take it to the pedestrian crossing again, but then it would have to be a pretty high kerb.

I pretty much just indicate to turn on to a sidewalk, and if there are pedestrians in the way, I either stop and let them pass or just roll rrrrreally slowly behind them, like some creepy motorbike stalker. :sneaky:
    They usually get out of the way for you though, and I've never had anyone abuse me for doing it, except for an older gentleman giving me a stink-eye when parking outside the State Library.
    Pretty sure it's illegal to ride on the kerb, so be careful when you do. You're supposed to get off and walk the bike, but really, who does?

Just make sure you don't park too close to any walls or anywhere where motorbike parking isn't actually allowed, as that'll get a you a fine, quick smart. From memory, there's only really a few places in the CBD where you're not allowed to park (Flinders lane on the left side, for example) and they're usually pretty quick in finding and fining you for it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ride straight into your building.
    Put the bike in the lift.
    Park at your desk.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. #10 robsalvv, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    You know I was just pondering writing something about this the other day when I saw a noob struggling to get their bike up over a kerb cocking up the clutch and revs bit.

If you have short leg syndrome then find a pedestrian ramp or drive way, otherwise follow these instructions for non chook chaser bikes that will just ride over any kerb... also best NOT to try and ride up kerbs that are too tall... you may end up stranded with the front end high enough to lift your feet off the ground (comedy will ensue) and/or ground clearance issues scraping your belly pan/oil pan. Also, it works better for heavier bikes.

1= Approach kerb at 90degrees/perpendicular to the kerb.
    2= Butt the front wheel up against the kerb with both feet on the ground.
    3= Dial in some revs and slowly let the clutch out, balancing the clutch on the friction point.
    4= DRIVE the front wheel into the kerb and allow it to roll up the kerb, SLOWLY. This means controlling drive by slipping the clutch. Keep revs up and steady. The front will rise. Don't panic. You may need to rise onto the balls of your feet to keep the bike supported.
    5= When the front wheel rolls up onto the pavement, PAUSE - pull the clutch in and brake - make sure your feet are still planted.
    6= Now roll forward SLOWLY until rear wheel butts up against the kerb... your choice whether this is duck waddle or a clutch assisted rolling forward... sometimes the slope of the road/kerb will do it for you too.
    7= Put feet on the kerb ONE AT A TIME. (lol)
    8= Repeat clutch and revs step to drive the rear wheel up the kerb - sometimes you need to sit on the seat to get some traction - but if your belly pan is scraping, get off the seat to unload the suspension and persevere with a slipping tyre until the rear rides up over the kerb.
    9= Roll forward and park.

In time, steps 2 - 7 are one move with feet landing on kerb simultaneously.
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. On a foot path loaded with pedestrians just take it slow, plenty of clutch slipping and be polite. Be prepared to stop too if you are trying to get over to one side to park as sometimes it's like as if you were walking - people in a hurry expect everyone to be going in one direction or another and not crossing at an angle through the "traffic" and some won’t let you through.

Even in the evening rush for the station at 5pm in Bourke St I sometimes cross at a driveway as that's the only way up through parked cars and trickle through the walkers for a few meters. No dramas – most make room as if you’re just another walker.

It’s real embarrassing if you are on a really wide footpath where everyone parks at 90 deg crawling along acting cool & mellow, then you casually do a sharp turn to the left to park and your right hand slips off the brake and rolls on a good amount of throttle. Better morning wake up than a cup of coffee.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Lube the chain at lunch time?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks heaps for the information guys! Went to a meeting and came back with a ton of replies! It's all helpful.. or funny, which is good as well ;)

I'll still be nervous (it's my default state of being) for the first few times, but at least I'll know I'm not doing anything too abnormal.
    Might have a fiddle tonight and see how well my bike fares going up and down a normal sized gutter, with no-one looking to laugh when I fail miserably.
  14. I was going to reply with a detailed breakdown of how i almost drop my bike trying to mount the curb but i'm sure you get the idea.. :)

Oh yeah and if you're parking near people enjoying food outside (tables on the path etc) don't do what i did and roll your bike back for a better position with the exhaust facing them.. they gave me weird looks :sneaky: yeah i'm talking to you Acland Street hipsters!!
  15. Any nerves should hopefully quickly be overtaken by how awesome it is.
  16. For an extra level of difficulty and to crack boss level, try mounting a kerb at some oblique angle...

Attempt at own risk.
    Any damage is your own fault.
    No duty of care is expressed or implied in this post.
  17. Agree but I'll add that you need to get your approach as close to 90 degrees to the kerb as possible, if you try at an angle the wheel can slip off and you can land in an embarrasing heap in a muddle of ped-sheeple.

Huh - just read the rest of the thread and see Rob has already mentioned the 90 degrees thing. Ah well, better late than never?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. That's no fun, bounce it off the limiter and wobble your way onto the footpath...that method makes gaps.
    Try to find minor crossings such as laneways to get onto the footpath as opposed to crowded crossings between roads, and park so you're not blocking the path causing people to walk around the bike.

-As pointed out, make sure your 1m from walls and the gutter (law).
    -I believe your are allowed to ride ~10m on a foothpath.
    -If you have a sports bike, avoid gutters...you'll just clip the bottom of your fairings.
    -Becareful what you leave on the bike, helmets are often taken or damaged.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Like a Boss.
  20. BitSarBitSar liking the new bike :) Looks mint!
    • Agree Agree x 1