Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Parking Lights

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jitboy, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Hey all,

I've never really used them much before, but from what I gather parking lights are there in the case you need to park your bike in an area with potentially low visibility to alert people your bike is there. I've parked my bike in someone elses unlit carport until the rain goes away with the parkers on.

Now I'm aware that diff bikes, diff battery size. But would anyone know how long you can leave your parkers on for before it kills your battery? I'd assume that they'd be only a small drain on your battery due to their task. But you know what they say about assuming. :shock:
  2. On my bike (2000 sprint) the ignition switch isnt set up real well and it is easy to accidently lock the steering with the parkers on. The battery is definately ded with the parkers on over nite. :( And of course that sets the bikes computer bak to all default settings until it relearns everything! :cool:
  3. Say they average 5watts each, one front one rear. Thats 10watts total. Thats approx 1amp (actually just under but close enough for this). If your battery is 10Amp hour I'd give it about 5 hours before you had difficulty starting and after 6 to 7 forget it. Basic maths 50% capacity gone = trouble
  4. Thanks for that.

Just left them on for a couple of hours and didn't have trouble starting. I was wondering if you could leave them on overnight. But I guess that's a big NO! :shock: