Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Parking lights on motorcycle

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Necros87, Apr 22, 2013.

1. so back story, i am planning on customising the look of my bike... as im sure half of you can relate to, and the other half will roll their eyes.

what i am looking at will leave me with no parkers so i have been reading up on the vehicle standards and i came across the part i am looking for:

by my reading, i dont need a parker if i dont have a sidecar. am i missing something? it seems pretty specific including everything else....

FWIW: my headlight is on as soon as i start the bike, my parkers come on when my key is turned. so the only time that they are on without the headlights is between the time i turn the key and the bike starts. so the loss in safety will be negligible
    • Like Like x 2
  2. There's got to be someone you can ring about the specifics on parking lights.. I want to change mine to green, but I don't want to do anything classed as an illegal mod, as I'd lose my insurance...
  3. well the parker on the front is required to be white or yellow(orange) so it wouldnt be counted as a parker.

havnt read anything about green but red (on the front half) and blue are a no no.
  4. You should not 'lose' your insurance, but the motorcycle will probably get defected by police in due course.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Necros
    It is your risk but IMO the chances of a cop seeing and or even looking for a parking light is very remote.
    They are usually more concerned about speeding tail tidy and loud exhausts .
    But if you still want to mod the bike but don't want the risk there are really cheap LED bullet lights available from China on ebay placed discreetly that with a bit of DIY you could rig up with a manual switch to operate .
  6. basically i am looking at putting an orange bulb where the parker bulb is currently and hooking it up to the blinker.

i am yet to rig it up and see if it is visible enough for my liking yet. and it wont happen if i deem the blinkers not visible enough.

for clarification... see this pic:

see the bulbous bits in the 'peaks' of the headlight, this is where the parkers are currently.

but again. this is what ifs at the moment, and will depend on the blinkers visibility. and i guess the distance between the bulbs to keep that part legal.

i know that if a PITA cop pulls me over they have plenty of things to pick on me for, although the only thing on my bike that is currently not legal (i think) is my exhaust. i have a tail tidy but my top box rack satisfies the requirement of a mudguard... although that wont stop them 'knowing it all' and ticketing me for it anyway...
  7. You don't need front park lights in NSW. The V Strom I had didn't have any from the factory.

8. Light emitted must be white. You are allowed amber IF the parking light lens shares the same casing as the indicators.

It is better referring to legislation for correct information rather than using what a previous bike had or didn't have as a guide.

Road Transport (Registration) Regulation 2007.

• Informative Informative x 1

9. thanks Justus,

just for clarification... i wasnt looking at having an orange parker, but put the blinker in the hole that the parker is currently and change the stock blinker stalks to flush mounts. just so i can make sure that both front and side can see them
  10. Parking lights would be governed by the ADRs, a comprehensive listing of which can be found on the DoTaRS website. Seek and ye shall find.
  11. hey guys, a little off topic but was wondering if anyone knows the legal distance from the front tire that the headlight (low beam) hits the ground ?

Sorry if it's confusing, basically I went out riding the other night with headlight on low most of the time (due to other cars), but I felt as if the light (from low beam) wasn't lighting up far enough, it seemed to be lighting the ground not far in front of me. Because of this, I found it difficult (& a little scary) riding as I couldn't really see that far in front of me so it was hard to see upcoming corners or possible hazards :\. Even my brother who was driving in front of me said it seemed a little low when he looked in the rear vision mirror.

12. I could be wrong but I think low beam should illuminate 25mtrs ahead, and 50 for high beam
  13. Setting aside mopeds, you are spot on Fridgy.

Refer to the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Act 1999:

Rule 81 Performance of headlights

(1) When on, a headlight, or additional headlight, fitted to a vehicle must:

(a) show only white light; and

(b) project its main beam of light ahead of the vehicle.

(2) Headlights must be fitted to a vehicle so their light does not reflect off the vehicle into the driver's eyes.

Rule 82Effective range of headlights

(1) This rule applies to a headlight that is on at night.

(2) A low-beam headlight must illuminate the road ahead of the vehicle for at least 25 metres.

(3) A high-beam headlight must illuminate the road ahead of the vehicle for at least 50 metres.

(4) However, a low-beam headlight fitted to a motor vehicle built before 1931, or a moped, need only illuminate the road ahead of the vehicle for 12 metres.

14. So how do new cars get away with those lights that appear to shine a blue tinged light?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. By "blue" do you mean the HID lookalikes? They are ADR approved. They are not illegal if they are a standard type halogen light. The blue (6000K to 8000K heat range) lights look brighter when looking at them because human eyes are not designed to work in that colour range, moreso 100 to 5000K range (4700K is bright daylight).

A lot of people think the standard type blue halogen lights are HID when in fact a lot of them are the standard halogen type. Boy racers have them for their 'cool' look and this is where the misconception comes from. The ill informed see a blue tinted light and immediately think it must be HID because they are so bright.

The ones that are illegal are the aftermarket HID kits as the cars don't have auto levelling and headlamp washers which are required for HID.

BlueVision Ultra 4000k rating.
    Nava Intense 4200k rating

16. Thanks.
  17. Daylight is more in the range 5500k to 6500k
  18. Projector headlights use a lens that splits the light at the cutoff.
    so when you are looking at the edge of the cutoff (common if a car is coming towards you) you will see the blue tinge.

this doesnt only happen to HID's as @Justus notes, because the light splitting effect is still present in halogen projectors. it is just that the halogen bulbs give off less white to blue range light for the projector to show.
  19. won't get through a pink slip. It's one of the tick boxes. Good luck arguing with the mechanic.
  20. Is a defected vehicle then no longer insured?

To the OP will the bike have a headlight still? If so then you'd be hard pressed to see a parker light anyway with daytime running lights on anyway.