Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Parking Infringement at Melbourne Uni (in car)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TGM, Sep 8, 2011.

1. So I got a parking infringement for allegedly breaking Road Rule 185 (1) Stopped - In a permit zone

This happened at Professors Walk in Melbourne Uni's Parkville campus. My GF has been parking here for a while not without issue. Here is a google maps link to the location.

I was parked in a market bay, the only signage around was a "no standing 8am - 5pm mon-fri" sign and the offence date is 08/09/2011 and the time is 20:55. Obviously this is outside the 8-5 no standing window, so I think I was legally allowed to park there. There is no other signage around.

This was in the car btw.

Here are some pics of where I was parked and the sign: http://i.imgur.com/FKYlr.jpg http://i.imgur.com/GYBNK.jpg (Sorry for the shitty quality but it's the best I could do in the dark.)

Does anyone have any idea why they would have given me the ticket, and I'm hoping that if I have the infringement internally reviewed it will be thrown out. Can anyone think of why they might have given me the ticket?

When applying for an internal review, is there any other information that I should include other than what I have put in this post?

2. Hmmm I thought that to park inside the campus you needed a permit anyway? They used to sell afterhours permits to non-staff but not anymore. That would explain the "Stopped in a permit zone". Maybe your GFs car just hasn't been checked?
  3. She's parked there many times, I doubt she wouldn't have been checked but if she hadn't then she's very very lucky.

On reading up a bit more:

However I didn't see any signs on entering the campus. If I just missed the sign then I would only be able to argue that the sign-age is not adequate if the parking offence isn't a strict liability offence. When I go back on Monday I'll have to have a closer look around, or I might stop by the campus tomorrow since I'm riding in to the city anyway. If there is clear signage saying that it's a permit zone on entrance and I just happened to miss it I'll pay the fine, if the sign is shitty or not there I'll contest.

I wonder if they have proof of me being there for longer than 20 minutes.
  4. Yeah. Interestingly it says "parking during the University working day is limited to permit holders". Working day as in 9-5? As that would suggest no need for a permit outside that period. Although, that would negate the need for an afterhours parking permit (which no longer exists...hmmmm :-k)
  5. That is interesting, I had another look at their site and found this:

I have no idea which gate Tin Alley is, there is no obvious sign. Hopefully the sign advising of a permit zone is shitty or non existent otherwise I have to give these pricks some money.

EDIT: The moral of the story is: RIDE YOUR ****ING BIKE INSTEAD OF DRIVING

I would have done that if I wasn't training, I'll have to suck it up and deal with the sore back in the future.
  6. There you go, so that's why the afterhours permit was removed. Yeah I've been going there for 3 years now and I have no idea where those gates are either lol. Here's hoping the signs have been vandalised and are not readable.

Plenty of motorbike parking space however :) Which I made full use of today hehehe
  7. I've worked in higher ed admin for over 20 years now. Parking is a huge area of revenue raising for universities - both selling the permits and fining people. It used to be hard for them to get money out of people for fines, especially if they weren't students. This all changed since they have been able to use the same system as Council parking people do to send out the fines. Their facilities units absolutely love it and have been doing this for about 10 years. All the uni has to go is regsiter and probably get a bit of training on the do's and don'ts of the system and they're up and running. There's a money split thing that happens, but essentially the uni just sends off details to the centralised system and the parking fines are sent out just like if you were fined on a public street.

The uni's defence if you object would be along the lines of:
    a) It's not a public space, so it operates under their rules
    b) They have signs up advising of the need for parking permits
    c) It's up to you to park legally and read the signs
    d) If you're a student, they'll have about 50 places in documents they've provided you that they can point to, and then ask you why didn't you read it? (Student Handbook; Orientation material; Uni website etc etc)

I reckon that if you didn't have a permit, you've got no chance.