Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Parking in Sydney residental area

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by kodiak, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Hey,

I would like to have some clarification on parking in Sydney residental areas (Randwick). Sorry if this has been discussed in detail beforehand, I did try to search but I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of hits (found some interesting topics though). Plus I'm just starting to look at the local highway code (overseas license), but just keen to know what my possibilities are.

So, to cut it short.

1, There is usually plenty of parking spaces in front of the flat I'm renting, but there is a no parking limitation of 7-9AM. Plus there is a green stripe as well. I take I wouldn't be allowed to park there or on the pedestrian way, so that's a no go (except parking properly there if I know I will be out of there before 7AM).

2, There is a not too busy street just around the corner that doesn't seem to have such limitation and from what I've seen last couple of days, that would have empty spaces as well. Is it ok just to park there in front of someone else's house (not blocking their driveway)? Would I need some kind of permit for that?

3, Also, there is a backyard kind of parking place that belongs to the block of flats (but mine doesn't have one)..there are some places there that would fit a bike, however it's not designated parking spot. There is a sign saying residental access only. Is it ok just to store the bike there at an appropriate spot, even if it's not meant to be a parking area?

2. Sorry for the dumb post, I found couple of relevant topics meanwhile and a page on the Randwick council site that replies my question (and it should have been posted in the Law section).
  3. 1of your question is kinda same like the one i had :)
    refer to this post :

as for the info i gathered, even by calling tenants union, etc, you can park your bike in your building's driveway as long as it is -
    1. not in anyone's private parking bay
    2. not obstructing anyone's right of way
    3. the zone/slot/corner/place you are parking in, doesnot have any signs indicating that parking is not allowed.
    4. you are a current tenant
    and your bike's look is not reducing the property' value (a burnt' crapped motorbike which doesnt run and with c*nt sprayed on it...reduces the value of the property's looks.)

i park my bike now in the driveway, i dont have a parking slot for me, but i make sure i follow the above set of rules :)
  4. Interesting topic, thanks for the heads up.
    I hope it works out for you too and no probs with that self-important agent.