Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Parking at Shopping Centres

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Kaer, Jun 15, 2005.

1. I've been meaning to get an answer to this, but never got around to it.

You know those parking centres with the boom gates? The ones that have enough room for you to ride around? The ones that won't actually give you a ticket as the bike doesn't set off the sensors?

Normally when I leave the shopping centre I sneak around the automatic gates. But in certain centres (i.e. Chatswood) all gates are manned by people. (Chatswood has me sneaking out a pedestarian exit).

I haven't been game enough to ask, in case they try and hit me up for the max parking cost for the day.

If the gate doesn't give you a ticket, do the people on the exits just let you through?

In Broadway shopping centre I know they do. Mainly because once while going in I was waved through by the guy, so I then knew it was cool to go out.

Or is this specific for each shopping centre, and each have their own rules?

The one time I actually got somone on the other end when I buzzed was at the airport. The bloke just told me to go around it.

2. Hate to sound smug about this but the pay parking bays in all the Canberra shops and public parking areas had the motorcycle parking area located outside the boom-gated area so you could park and come and go as you please. Makes sense, really.

3. Broadway shopping centre has motorcycle bay parking areas right outside hoyts, with the added bonus of they've put these big poles between every second bike spot so cars can't fit there, nor can they hit a bike in there.

But Broadway is highly bike friendly, just curious as to what the other centres are like. I've never seen another bike at chatswood and I used to go there every day for 3 months for lunch when I worked in Artarmon.